jQuery vs JavaScript for Windows Apps

Question

• Hi all,

I have used both jQuery and JavaScript for Web applications and am very comfortable with both. Given the WinJS library, and just starting with Windows Apps development, should I start with just JavaScript considering the documentation and support or do others out here recommend jQuery as well?

I am looking for the pros/cons of both.

Thanks,

Kelly

Personal Blog: http://thebitsthatbyte.com

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelly,

There is a blog I think you may interested: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/07/10/jquery-and-winjs-working-together-in-windows-store-apps.aspx

Basically JQuery is a kind of code library for JavaScript, you could use JQuery to shorten your code and save your time. WinJS is another kind of JavaScript library, it optimize the performance for Windows Store App environment. Even they have some duplicate methods, their original goal is different, one for code optimize and one for environment optimize.

As the blog last paragraph mentioned:

As we’ve seen, jQuery complements the tools available in WinJS very well. With jQuery, you can select multiple HTML elements from your app’s markup with greater ease and finer control. The functions in jQuery can turbocharge the WinJS code you use to manipulate your app. With the two, you can build a dynamic and elegant Windows Store app with less code, meaning less time to develop (and less time to publish to the Store).

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Kelly Rusk Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:24 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:10 AM