can a PC with malware sharing a modem intercept other PC's traffic on that modem? RRS feed

• Question

• Suppose a friend comes over to my house, and wants to connect his laptop to the internet. I give him my modem password, and now he can use the modem that is shared with me. Since I use the same modem, is it possible that if his laptop were infected with malware, the malware could intercept signals from and to the modem that were intended for my own PC? If so, is there a second layer of defense that would be specific to each PC that I could use?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:59 PM

Answers

• It's certainly possible but it depends on the type of malware that your friend "might" be infected with. There are so many different types of malware and each can have various ways of infecting your machines (including your IoT devices if you have one) and spread through your Wi-Fi network. Some <g class="gr_ gr_1202 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="1202" id="1202">malwares</g> exploit known vulnerabilities in device modems/WiFi routers and combined with potentially a MitM (man-in-the-middle) attack, it could be a gateway to sniff your network traffic.  

Take for instance this story:

https://thehackernews.com/2014/12/router-vulnerability-puts-12-million.html

Unfortunately, there's no silver bullet on preventing such malware or MitM attack. Prevention though will always be better than cure. Make sure your device's firmware is up-to-date with the latest and greatest, as well as your anti-malware/personal firewall enabled.  

• Proposed as answer by - Roman Canlas - Friday, January 8, 2016 8:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gidmaestro Friday, January 8, 2016 12:07 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 8:01 AM