none
Document content sharing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there a built-in way to reference specific bits of another document from within OOXML document?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

• Have you tried the external hyperlink, working together with bookmark?

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:20 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply. Yes but it does not give us functionality we require. Having the hyperlink to a particular bookmark will have only hyperlink displayed when we open the document using Office app.

We want to be able to render and display the actual content of another document we are referring to. E.g. document A has reference to one paragraph of document B.  When I open document A I see content of document A plus content  of referenced paragraph from document B. Currently I can not see the way we can get Word, Excel or InfoPath to do that.

Two possible solutions are crossing my mind at the moment. We either create our own GUI to handle OOXML documents and forget Office suite or we create Office 2007 add-in(s) to handle this. Personally I prefer second option. We need to prove feasibility of it first and I would appreciate any constructive input.

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:47 PM
  • It is probably an overkill to create your own editor. I would think creating an client app add-in is a reasonable approach. You might want to check out what VSTO offers. It is not very easy, but still better than writing a new editor.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:31 AM