none
Excel Action Pane Is Blank RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Excel, document-level addin.  For a number of functions in the app, we present context help in an action pane.  We have one user who always sees a blank action pane.  All other aspects of the app seems to work fine and the action pane shows when it should show, it just appears blank (all white).  The app does not throw any exceptions.

There are no other addins running.  We have removed and reinstalled our app as well as Office.  The problem persists.  What could be causing this?

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hello burkeden,

You said that one user who always see a blank action pane, so it only occur on specific user?

Do you mean a document-level workbook?What's the version of your office while developing? What's the version of the user?

Could you try to create a quite simply document-level workbook to reproduce the issue? You only need put a control on a custom action pane and show the custom action pane. Will it still appear blank on the user?

Then I would suggest you share the simply project to use so we could try to reproduce your issue.

Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Hello Terry,

Yes it only occurs for one specific user.

Yes a document-level workbook.  The developers and this particular user both use Office 365 - Office 2016.

I will create a simple project, though I suspect the problem is Windows/Excel on the one PC and not the solution itself.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Hello burkeden,

Have you ever checked if the user could correctly show the build-in task pane? Such as, right click a shape and choose format shape to show a format shape task pane.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:35 AM
  • Excellent Suggestion Terry.  We did verify that with a blank Excel workbook, if we add a shape and then format the shape, it does show the proper task pane.  We did the same with a chart and formatting the chart also shows the contents as expected in the task pane.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Here is the simple solution that exhibits the same behavior.

So the compiled solution opens on most PCs and shows the action pane with content.  However when this same solution is opened on the PC in question, it again shows a blank action pane.

https://visiun.sharefile.com/d-s8856c280c804f949

In that same shared folder is a PNG which shows what the problem PC looks like with a blank action pane from the sample solution.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:47 PM
  • Hello burkeden,

Thanks for sharing the project. It's quit simply project and I test it with no issue.

I think the issue is more related to the user's office too. Have you tried to remove any other add-ins from the user office in case of add-ins conflict.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:54 AM
  • I want to add two points Terry.

1 - yes we have ensured that no other add-ins are running.

2-We now noticed that another control which exhibits the same behavior on this machine.  It is a WebBrowser control and also appears totally blank when it should show some content.  It seems quite likely to me that these would be related.  Does this help isolate the true source of the issue?

Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:48 PM
  • Hello burkeden,

I would suggest you try to update the office to latest version and try to repair the office in case for install corrupt.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Friday, April 27, 2018 8:05 AM
  • It is Office 365 (v2016) and we have all updates applied.  And we did totally remove Office and reinstalled it which did not seem to change anything.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 11:22 AM
  • I want to provide an update for any else who experiences this issue.  We have seen this same issue on multiple PCs now (at least 10).  But in each case the fix ended up being **Windows** updates.  We of course updated Office but the fix never seemed to correlate with those.  I suspect, but can't conclusively say, that it was a Windows patch which caused the issue and a later Windows patch which resolved the issue.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 2:03 PM