project structure RRS feed

• Question

• User-824961033 posted
    I am using asp.net 3.5 and I am trying to create a project structure (asp.net web solution with UI/Business/Data access) which would be like a base and ready for any new projects in my team and all could use this standard structure only as a base(outer boundary) and they can expand the structure. Also adding on to it I wanted to include certain features like adding libraries of reusable code/functions, so that every team member could use functions from my library within this base structure. To summarize the above, I need to create standard .net project structure/framework/architecture with resusable code library included in it. How can I do this...any sample project structure on similar lines will also be helpful. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:33 PM

Answers

• User-2004844803 posted

Hi,

this is not an easy question. For a small, simple web solution I would go for just adding data access classes and business access classes in the App_Code directory. But, since you want to use this as a template I suggest you create separate projects for each off your data access layer and your business access layer and reference these from your application.

Build this application like any other one. Add references to your reusable libraries, add double slash comments in the code with todo's etc. Then use VS -> File -> Export Template... to generate a template for your team members.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:44 PM
  • User-2004844803 posted

Hi,

sorry for the delayed answer. With dubble slash comments I mean that its a good way to comunicate to the users of the template what to do and where to do it in the code files. For example you could add a comment like "// Bind your controls here" and place it in the Page_Load event. But its all up to you.

For the Second questions I have no idea. It would be nice but a simple coding convention document that you hand over to your developers containing things like this should be enough I think.

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:30 AM
  • User-37275327 posted

Add class projects to the existing web sites. This is how the programers refer libraries to web site. Better implement alll scenarios on class project and you get one dll after compiling.

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:06 AM

All replies

• User-2004844803 posted

Hi,

this is not an easy question. For a small, simple web solution I would go for just adding data access classes and business access classes in the App_Code directory. But, since you want to use this as a template I suggest you create separate projects for each off your data access layer and your business access layer and reference these from your application.

Build this application like any other one. Add references to your reusable libraries, add double slash comments in the code with todo's etc. Then use VS -> File -> Export Template... to generate a template for your team members.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:44 PM
  • User-824961033 posted

What do you mean by 'add double slash comments in the code'. If you are suggesting I use intellisense for my reusable libraries then could be please let me know how can I do this.

Also whenever someone uses this template as a base and creates a new class file then at the beginning of the file can we have a default comment block where the developer can enter details about the file. example

// file name:

// created by:

How can I do this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:19 PM
  • User-2004844803 posted

Hi,

sorry for the delayed answer. With dubble slash comments I mean that its a good way to comunicate to the users of the template what to do and where to do it in the code files. For example you could add a comment like "// Bind your controls here" and place it in the Page_Load event. But its all up to you.

For the Second questions I have no idea. It would be nice but a simple coding convention document that you hand over to your developers containing things like this should be enough I think.

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:30 AM
  • User-37275327 posted

Add class projects to the existing web sites. This is how the programers refer libraries to web site. Better implement alll scenarios on class project and you get one dll after compiling.

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:06 AM