Raw data access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm looking for the best way to give end users access to raw data (100 000+ rows).

Currently I see only two options, but in the end both have some issues and that's why I'm looking for sth else, any ideas?

• SSRS reports (+ easy and user friendly; - poor performance with current size of database)
    • SQL views (+ good performance; - too complicated for non tech users)

Background: application has web based front-end; back-end is on SQL server; app don't has any built-in export option; above 500 users

Appreciate your suggestions...

Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Have you thought about using Master Data Services? I swear by it and have just implemented another production system.
    It has a spreadsheet appearance to it, data can be sorted and filtered, and more importantly securely controlled.
    You may want to have a look at an article that I just posted on my website.
    Http://infogoldusa.com

As always, should you wish to take this one further, please feel free to contact me at steve.simon@sqlpass.org
    Regards Steve Simon SQL Server MVP

• Proposed as answer by JJordheim Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alisa Tang Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:06 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Just a thought, but had you considered using both?  Create your view in SQL Server.  Then in SSRS, create a "Shared Dataset" that pulls from the view.  Not sure if that's a win win in this case, but maybe worth a try...
    Monday, January 27, 2014 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you thought about using Master Data Services? I swear by it and have just implemented another production system.
    It has a spreadsheet appearance to it, data can be sorted and filtered, and more importantly securely controlled.
    You may want to have a look at an article that I just posted on my website.
    Http://infogoldusa.com

As always, should you wish to take this one further, please feel free to contact me at steve.simon@sqlpass.org
    Regards Steve Simon SQL Server MVP

Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Just a thought, but had you considered using both?  Create your view in SQL Server.  Then in SSRS, create a "Shared Dataset" that pulls from the view.  Not sure if that's a win win in this case, but maybe worth a try...
    Monday, January 27, 2014 2:29 PM