none
Which Kinect should i get for development as well as to play games? RRS feed

• Question

• I’m .net developer and now I’m planning to develop Kinect windows applications + games. Since I’m newbie to Kinect I  need to some help in deciding which Kinect device I should buy. I don’t have Xbox 360 or Kinect currently. I’m planning to buy Kinect which I can use to play games as well as game + windows application development. I have the following question

1>     Do I need to buy Xbox 360 in order to play Kinect games?  (this silly question but doesn’t hurt asking J)

2>     Will the “Kinect for windows SDK” work with “Kinect for Xbox 360”? Or do they have separate SDK for “Kinect for Xbox 360”?

3>     Microsoft suggested that Don’t use “Kinect for windows SDK” with “Kinect for Xbox 360”, does that mean I need to buy two Kinects ( one Kinect for Xbox 360 and Kinect for Windows sensor)?

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• The Xbox 360 Kinect works with the 1.0 SDK for development purposes. i.e., you must have the SDK installed to use it. The Kinect For Windows Sensor will not work with the XBox 360 console.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:55 PM
  • What if I'm developing a software with the Xbox 360 Kinect with the old SDK and now I install the new SDK?! Does everything still work?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Yes it will
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:36 PM
  • The Xbox 360 Kinect works with the 1.0 SDK for development purposes. i.e., you must have the SDK installed to use it. The Kinect For Windows Sensor will not work with the XBox 360 console.

You said "you must have the SDK installed to use it" but where those SDK needs to be installed? SDK will be installed  on my development machine anyway?
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:51 PM
  • the SDK needs to be installed on the machine that you are using the XBox Kinect on.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:16 PM
  • 1.Do I need to buy Xbox 360 in order to play Kinect games?  (this silly question but doesn’t hurt askingJ)

2>   2. Will the “Kinect for windows SDK” work with “Kinect for Xbox 360”? Or do they have separate SDK for“Kinect for Xbox 360”?

3>    3.Microsoft suggested that Don’t use “Kinect for windows SDK” with“Kinect for Xbox 360”, does that mean I need to buy two Kinects ( one Kinect for Xbox 360 and Kinect for Windows sensor)?                                                   

To question 1 no you do not need xbox 360 to play kinect games. To question 2 to make kinect game on windows you only need kinect for windows sdk and xbox kinect is only supported when making game but to play   it on windows need kinect for windows because person making game will use runtime and it doesnt support xbox kinect.  To question 3  you should just get a kinect for windows if playing a game only on windows.                                                                          

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:06 PM
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:56 PM
  • op if anyone of us has answered your questions please mark as answer and any helpful remarks.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:07 PM
  • I'm a bit lost in this topic :)

I personally bought a kinect for xbox 360. I've installed on my pc Kinect SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/overview.aspx

On my pc I'm developing kinect application and when I'll plug the kinect to the xbox I'm playing kinect games. Hope this is clear enought and helps a bit :)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Kinect for xbox cannot be used outside of debugging in visual studio with kinect sdk v1 for commerical gain at least.  If your looking for the $150 kinect version wait till this fall when supposedly educational discounts happen and educational insitutions can volume license kinects or is this not possible?

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:41 PM
  • What do you mean that it cannot be used outside of debuggind in visual studio ?

I can`t just install an application on my pc and run it ? I`ve tested many applications that weren`t started via visual studio just by clicking on .exe and it worked.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:56 PM
  • You needed to install beta 2 first though right?  The runtime doesnt support xbox 360 kinect but does support kinect for windows and the developers version of v1 sdk is strictly not for commerical use with xbox kinect which includes kiosk's please read this from kinect faq's:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/faq.aspx

Excerpt from page above:

I currently develop on Kinect for Xbox
    360. How will this be supported moving forward?

Although
    you will technically be able to download the V1 Kinect for Windows SDK and use
    it with an existing Kinect for Xbox 360 for your own, personal development
    purposes, we recommend using a Kinect for Windows sensor in your Kinect for
    Windows application development, as it is the only sensor optimized for this
    use.   You are licensed to use the Kinect for Windows sensor with Kinect for
    Windows applications. We do not recommend using a Kinect for Xbox 360 to assist
    in the development of Kinect for Windows applications; developers should plan to
    transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes, and should
    expect that your customers will be using Kinect for Windows hardware as well.

So that means in future it wont exist and right now you CANNOT use it for commerical purposes as this states.

In v1 sdk it cannot be used outside debugging in visual studio anyways and its only for personal programming as the articles states not in exe form to work with xbox kinect by itself

The question was for the op fixus because this is a developers forum mostly.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Edit: sorry corrected a mistake developers version of kinect v1 sdk is not for commerical use with xbox kinect so beta 2 is the only thing supported that allows you to make direct exe apps and use them but only for education. So it appears the xbox kinect cannot be used for commerical purposes anywhere unless you use open ni.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:14 PM