Internet Explorer 11 Install causes changes to drafts being lost in Outlook 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• After an automatic install of IE 11 via Windows Update I found two Outlook 2003 (SP3) installs on two different machines facing the following problem:

Changes to drafts would no longer save, also Outlook 2003 would not prompt if the existing, editied draft should be saved. Only applies to HTML emails, RTF and plain-text mails not affected.

Outlook version: 11.8330.8405 SP3
    Windows version: Windows 7 Professional, Version 6.1 Build 7601: SP1;
    One machine: 32bit; one machine x64 - both facing the same problem.
    Not using Exchange but regular POP3/SMTP accounts.

How to recreate (problem occurs 90% of the time, but rarely it did work for no particular reason):

- Create a draft (new mail, answer, forward) and put some text in it.

- Close & save draft.

- Goto draft folder, open draft, edit it. Close - Outlook does not prompt if you want to save the changes.

- Reopen draft - changes are lost. Saving the changes manually doesn't work - nothing happens.

The problem was resolved after uninstalling IE11 and reverting back to IE10.

As Outlook does use IE libraries to process (and obviously also to create) HTML, some updates to the IE libraries coming with IE11 clearly cause undesired behaviour with Outlook 2003.

I am very aware that Office 2003 is ten years old, however, an updated Internet Explorer must not break a working Outlook install - I cannot afford to buy a new Office Suite every time a new IE comes out.

Best regards

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Answers

• What is even worse is that if you type your mail long enough that it is auto saved in draft folder, you loose everything you typed after autosave!

One of the solutions to this problem is to select Word as the mail editor: Tools > Options > Mail Format > Use Microsoft Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.

• Proposed as answer by opmet Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by m1ndmaker Friday, January 10, 2014 10:11 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• Only someone have access to Outlook's source code can check what is going on here. This is not something we can help. The Outlook forum is on answers.microsoft.com and it has Microsoft staff, not like here you see one reply from Microsoft employees in every other year. 

No Microsoft employee is on duty here. We do not solve Microsoft's problem - Microsoft has staff stationed elsewhere. This is a public peer-to-peer forum hosted by Microsoft to help web site authors on HTML grammar.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:22 PM
  • I agree, my posted question has nothing to do with web dev, however, I struggled to find an appropiate way of telling Microsoft that their new IE11 causes problems with Outlook. So I gave it a shot in the msdn forums, as it is clearly something the IE11 dev team should be aware of.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:11 PM
  • You don't exactly ask a bunch of TV show producers how to fix your TV's speaker. Why you think a bunch of random web developers you meet on the forum know how to fix Outlook?

Outlook is not written in HTML and Javascript. It is written in C++ and the code is trade secret. To have a look at what is happening you need to contact the outlook team to have them to take a look at the code - and you bet the outlook team gets more attention than you do from the IE team if they think the issue is in IE's code. the HTML experts can't help you.

Bring this to the Outlook forum mentioned above, ,most likely you encountered some less tested code paths in Outlook. 

Visual C++ MVP

• Marked as answer by Yanping Wang Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by m1ndmaker Friday, January 10, 2014 10:10 AM
    • Edited by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:29 PM
  • I am grateful to m1ndmaker for posting this.  I would not have guessed that IE 11 was the reason, but it sure does look like it because my problem with Outlook 2003 started at the same time.  I don't think Microsoft is still supporting Outlook 2003.  It looks like IE 11 damages Outlook 2003.  I will also revert to IE 10.

Outlook 2003 loses edits.  IE 11's fault.

(Luckily the fifth time I tried guessing different keywords to search for in Google, this discussion thread popped up.  My first four Google searches found nothing useful.)

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:40 AM
  • I just had this same problem on a clients PC. Was able to recreate Outlook not saving drafts. Simply uninstalled IE11, rebooted and it works fine now. Currently has IE9.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:10 PM
  • THANK YOU for solving and posting this, it was driving me crazy!

Apparently Microsoft installed IE11 when my system was upgraded to Windows 8.1 - but doing this broke Outlook 2003!

I had no idea why Outlook was randomly discarding final edits and sending out earlier/incomplete versions, but it's unacceptable, unfriendly, and dangerous - so Microsoft has to fix this if they want us to embrace IE11!

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:30 PM
  • What is even worse is that if you type your mail long enough that it is auto saved in draft folder, you loose everything you typed after autosave!

One of the solutions to this problem is to select Word as the mail editor: Tools > Options > Mail Format > Use Microsoft Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.

• Proposed as answer by opmet Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by m1ndmaker Friday, January 10, 2014 10:11 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Well, I use Outlook 2010 and 2003, the latter on the road. And it is making me crazy the fact it sends wrong messages because it does not accept changes while writing. It is a big issue and should be resolved at once. This seems not even to be an out-of-support issue for an old version (unacceptable anyway) but just a tiny unnoticed but serious code mistake, that put all of us in the hazardous situation of sending messages with undesirable or seemingly dumb content. Not a joke at all!
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Thanks so much! i had the same problem, and removing ie11 appears to have solved it, WHEW, i really appreciate your taking the time to post a solution.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:09 PM
  • This has been such a pain, scary as well....drafts not updating that you think have, then you send them...and see afterwards the changes you made didn't get sent. Bloody hell !!

Also had some emails cut short ?

Anyway struggling away here and must have misunderstood what to do.

Uninstalled IE 11   and then reinstalled it.  No change, still have this annoying problem.

Do I uninstall IE 11 and install something else ?

Also, if something else what is it and what is to stop MS not adding IE 11 back onto my system with a future upgrade ?

Thanks for any help.

Grant

Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:19 AM
  • You uninstall IE11 via the Control Panel - Software - Show Updates dialog. Afterwards it will be reverted to IE10.

Then you don't reinstall IE11 or anything else, you just stick with IE10.

To make sure it stays IE10, open Internet Explorer, click the options button (gear icon) and select Info / About -> in there you find a checkbox if updates should be installed automatically. Uncheck that.

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Thanks m1ndmaker, I already had a go at something and this is what I did.

uninstalled IE11 (again)  then installed IE9

today I think it fixed my original problem of the drafts not updating ...yippee

BUT....

now I seem to have caused another problem. Being that when I reply to an email it now drops out the text of the email that I am replying to ( that is no words there anymore) ??

Should I now be uninstalling IE9 and installing IE10  ?

Thanks for any help.

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:10 AM
  • I think this is rather an option in outlook than caused by IE9. I probably can't help with this issue.

I would use IE10 as it got better performance, HTML rendering and security updates.

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:17 AM
  • I had the same issue with Windows 7, Outlook 2003 and IE11 (I use HTML email).

I fixed the problem so: under Tools, Options, Email Options, Advanced Email Options I unchecked "AutoSave unsent every:".

I suppose these problems are related together. Now Outlook work properly ;)
    I didn't uninstall IE11.

I hope it helps. :)

• Edited by GabriRuflex Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by winfarer Friday, January 31, 2014 4:07 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Thanks very much for this suggestion. Works for me as well (both on Win 7 and Win 8). By the way, the solution proposed GabriRuflex below where you deactivate the Auto Save option does NOT work on my machine.

Postscript 11 Feb 2014: Using Word as the email editor was too clunky for me and I turned it off after a week. Uninstalling Explorer 11 does work but you must do it the way m1ndmaker says, which is by uninstalling the update. Deactivating IE 11 with Turn Windows Features on or off does not do the trick. To uninstall the update in Win 7:

Control Panel/Programs and Features/View installed updates and then look in the long list under Microsoft Windows for Internet Explorer 11. When you find it, right click to uninstall. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Win8. Have not been able to solve the problem there except by using Word as the email editor which the user didn't like. 

@Sheng. I appreciate your frustration at having this page being used for IE issues. But, the information is helping countless people including me. Maybe one day, Microsoft will fix the problem they have caused themselves and all this unwanted traffic will go away. For now, please accept my thanks for hosting us. You are performing a great public service. 

• Edited by Ned Dev Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:27 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:30 PM
  • > Outlook is not written in HTML and Javascript.

Thank you captain obvious.

Again. Not an Outlook problem, clearly an IE-fuckup.

This thread already helped a bunch of people. It can't be that wrong.

> most likely you encountered some less tested code paths in Outlook.

Right. Creating emails, a less tested code path in Outlook? Seriously?

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:22 PM
  • To readers: if you are not asking help in improving your web site for visitors who use many versions of IE, don't start a new thread or follow up here. This forum is for helping people in writing the correct HTML code, not for helping them in using any software (yes that includes HTML editors, browsers and web site hosting software). You can think this is the place to correct people's HTML grammer in their web page.

@m1ndmaker :clearly an IE-fuckup

Oh yeah, so it is still IE's fault when a web site broke because it thinks IE 10 is IE 1 as its code only check the first digit of browser version? IE has to fake the version number (9.10 instead of 10) to get around this. You simply don't know what is the cause and just want to blame the messenger instead.

>This thread already helped a bunch of people. It can't be that wrong.

this thread already misled a bunch of people into thinking this forum is the place to get IE help, yourself included. That's more harm than good. Microsoft does not patrol here. In fact I see probably less than 50 replies from Microsoft people in my 9 years patrol here (if you have to ask why, then you haven't bothered to read the replies  and haven't look up what this forum's title means). If you think posting here = get a little Microsoft attention, you are mistaken. 

>Right. Creating emails, a less tested code path in Outlook? Seriously?

Since when is saving (or not saving) draft in Outlook a code path in IE? Do you see editing or saving email advertised anywhere in IE introductions? Do you have evidence that IE has special code to do saving for Outlook (the antitrust lawyers will like to know that)? 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Yes;  agreed-  That is how I discovered it on December 18th, 2013, the day IE11 landed on Win7 64 box in office... 

Plain text draft emails on pc in question only, and a holdup on deploy of many more...

Thank you for posting the serious issue here, regardless of the faux news reporter type response(s) from those here who hold themselves in such high esteem they forget code folks use the products too...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:42 AM
  • IE appears to render HTML formatted messages prior to save, for Outlook app behalf, when format is HTML, and that "breaks" application due to IE11 install...

FWIW ura Incredibly negative forum poster that deserves what is attracted-

:♥)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:50 AM
  • I should have been more negative. 

Another user wasted time tracking down a wrong post, this is exactly I am trying to prevent. 

Again, there is no Microsoft employee assigned to patrol this forum. The only helpful answer you can get here is to contact Microsoft directly. 

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:18 AM
  • Problem permanent work around without loosing IE or using Word or Plain Text editing:

In outlook go to Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor

Open ThisOutlookSession under Project1

Paste this code (which saves a draft just before sending it):

Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

With Item   'Item is your e-mail
            .Save
        End With
    Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
        MsgBox "Error sending!"
    End Sub

After pasting, click the save icon and close the visual basic window.  Problem should be solved.  You will be presented with an "Enable Macros" dialog when opening outlook in the future, just enable and go on (probably a way around this but I didn't bother)

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:14 PM
  • Problem permanent work around without loosing IE or using Word or Plain Text editing:

Doesn't work for me?

Simon

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:29 AM
  • One of the solutions to this problem is to select Word as the mail editor: Tools > Options > Mail Format > Use Microsoft Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.

That does the trick. However, mails composed with Word contains a truckload of unnessesary CSS. Ie bloating every mail. Is there a way to get rid of them unwanted stuff?

Simon

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:20 PM