For ASHWID, will component IDs generated be different if same app is installed on different tablet but same model

Question

• hi,

I'm need to generate unique id for my app, so I'm using App Specific Hardware Id(ASHWID). 

The official documentation regarding ASHWID mentioned

"In order to protect user privacy, the ASHWID varies from app to app"

(source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553431.aspx)

So this mean, if user A and B both has different tablet but same model (etc:lenovo Mixx 2.8) and downloaded same app

from windows store.

Will ASHWID generated in this same app different in both tablet ?.

I got conflicting answers from different forums which caused the confusion.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:09 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure you want to use ASHWID.  Are you looking to uniquely identify a device, or uniquely identify your app? Please explain further.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:40 PM
  • Actually I'm looking to uniquely identify a device.   

I'm developing security app and I'm using this value to generate 'security key'.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Hi Kypronite,

You can use HardwareIdentification.GetPackageSpecificToken method. Try the following code.

var token = Windows.System.Profile.HardwareIdentification.GetPackageSpecificToken(null);

string installationId = Windows.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicBuffer.EncodeToBase64String(token.Id);

Please see more information from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553431.aspx.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:23 AM