SQL Server Management Studio - Windows Auth RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi:

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to connect via SQL Server Management Studio to a server sitting on a separate domain. So here is the situation. there is Server B which sits in a domain called DomainB. If I am in DomainA, I could typically remote into that server utilizing an IP address in DomainB, and even transfer files to that server. But how do I connect via SQL Server Management Studio(basically login as a different domain user) to Server B in DomainB from DomainA. Basically when I choose Windows Authentication from the dropdown list in SQL Server Management Studio, it grays out the username field, which is where I could type something like this domainB\usernameondomainB, similar to how you would connect to a share on that server. Please let me know if there is a possibly solution to this. Also, our customer doesnot allow SQL Server Auth/Logins, so that is not an option. Thanks.

Monday, January 29, 2007 8:03 PM

Answers

• If you have a trust between the 2 domains then using a same username in those 2 domains show allow the connectivity.

So make sure to create an alias on the machine where you want to use the SSMS to connect the domainB box.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

You can use runas.

Ex: runas /user:domainB\usernameondomainB sqlwb

This will launch SQL Server Management Studio under the credentials of domainB\usernameondomainB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sravanthi.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:14 PM

All replies

• If you have a trust between the 2 domains then using a same username in those 2 domains show allow the connectivity.

So make sure to create an alias on the machine where you want to use the SSMS to connect the domainB box.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

You can use runas.

Ex: runas /user:domainB\usernameondomainB sqlwb

This will launch SQL Server Management Studio under the credentials of domainB\usernameondomainB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sravanthi.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:14 PM