none
.net 4.5 wont install so nothing in Visual Studio will! RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Home Edition

Getting the error in the logfile:

Returning IDRETRY. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Error writing to file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe. Verify that you have access to that directory.]

Checking ownershipproperties it states "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings"

Looking in the advanced tab of security settings the current owner states "Unable to display current owner."

My account is an admin account and I still get this if I try and run the dotnetfx45_full_setup.exe as administrator.

I had to uninstall .net 4.5 as every time I turned off the PC windows update failed to install updates for .net. Tried to do a reinstall.

Also tried disabling antivirus.

• Edited by thun0r Saturday, March 2, 2013 2:51 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Thanks for looking.... I was needing to get my Visual Studio working for work purpose so I did a Windows 7 Repair using the disk which has now solved this issue.

I seems I had a nasty piece of malware locking down certain files and changing the permission.

• Marked as answer by thun0r Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:32 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• DO you have SP1 for Windows 7 installed? If not, you must do that before trying to install .NET 4.5 or VS 2012.

The error message hints at a permissions problem. Are you logged on with an ID that has full administrative privileges and did you run the installer As Administrator?

Try the above, and if it still fails, provide complete logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Saturday, March 2, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for looking.... I was needing to get my Visual Studio working for work purpose so I did a Windows 7 Repair using the disk which has now solved this issue.

I seems I had a nasty piece of malware locking down certain files and changing the permission.

• Marked as answer by thun0r Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:32 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:32 PM