none
Outlook REST APIs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Techies,

I have been working on EWS in .NET and recently came across something called as Outlook REST APIs to communicate to Exchange Server/Outlook. Somewhere I read that these APIs can be implemented in different languages including Java.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office365/api/use-outlook-rest-api

Applies to: Exchange Online | Office 365 | Hotmail.com | Live.com | MSN.com | Outlook.com | Passport.com

Per above it's only available for items in Applies to and nowhere said its not applicable to Outlook 2010/2016. So I want to reconfirm. Can you please help me understand if these REST APIs are available for Outlook 2010 / Outlook 2016 or only available starting Office 365? And is it available with Exchange Server 2010 and 2016 or only specific exchange server version?

Please advise.

Thanks.

sureshh...

• Edited by sureshh Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:10 PM added link
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:09 PM

Answers

• Outlook is the Mail client and Exchange is the mail server, you use an API to access the Exchange Server. The API that Outlook uses in all versions is MAPI (or Mapi over HTTP in the latest version)

The Outlook REST API are an additional API that can be used to access Office365 (Exchange) or Exchange 2016 CU1 OnPremises or Outlook.com. They have not been back-ported and will not work on Exchange 2007,2010 or 2013, the version of Outlook client you use to connect to the Exchange has no baring on the API as Outlook doesn't yet use this API for anything (although its is available now to use in the latest  client Addins but this will only work like the API if the backend your using in Office365 or Exchange 2016 CU1) .

Cheers
    Glen

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by sureshh Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:29 PM

All replies

• Outlook is the Mail client and Exchange is the mail server, you use an API to access the Exchange Server. The API that Outlook uses in all versions is MAPI (or Mapi over HTTP in the latest version)

The Outlook REST API are an additional API that can be used to access Office365 (Exchange) or Exchange 2016 CU1 OnPremises or Outlook.com. They have not been back-ported and will not work on Exchange 2007,2010 or 2013, the version of Outlook client you use to connect to the Exchange has no baring on the API as Outlook doesn't yet use this API for anything (although its is available now to use in the latest  client Addins but this will only work like the API if the backend your using in Office365 or Exchange 2016 CU1) .

Cheers
    Glen

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by sureshh Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:29 PM
  • Thanks Glen for details. Sorry I think I was confused with its usage for client vs server due to its name "Outlook REST API". Based on your inputs look like Outlook REST APIs can be used with Exchange 2016 or Office 365 and the version of client used to connect to the Exchange does not matter here. Thanks again.

sureshh...

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:15 PM