none
Copying values from select Query to arraylist RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi ,

I am having a simple select query like this.
    select empID from tablename where <condition>;

I want to copy all the empiD's that come out of the query and copy them to a arraylist, without iterating through the reader object and adding the contents in a loop.

Is there a way to do this?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Praveen Raju

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:13 PM

Answers

•  

you can use sqldataadapter to fill the data into dataset or datatable, then you can manipulate the data from there. I dont know any way to fill an arraylist directly.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:22 PM

All replies

•  

some code has to iterates through the resultset and adds them into an arraylist.

do you mean to create a function that takes the query as input and returns arraylist with empiDs as output so you dont have to write that every time?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Writing a function is fine.

But i was wondering if there is a method or routine to add values from a query into a arraylist without looping which isthe regular method.

If there are a large number of records then looping would take lot of resources isnt it?

Let me know if there is a way..

Thanks,

Praveen Raju

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:06 PM
  •  

you can use sqldataadapter to fill the data into dataset or datatable, then you can manipulate the data from there. I dont know any way to fill an arraylist directly.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi Praveen,

As far as I know, if you would like to load some data from a recordset, there should be existed a loop to do so. Based on my understanding, if there are a large number of records, a looping would take lot of resources. I recommend you to use a DataSet or a DataTable to save and access data.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:14 AM