none
Remove/close windows from VBA-Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

the VBA-editor of Access opens always with the same modules. Closing of the editor windows work only during the session. After restarting of Acceess I get again all previous opened windows.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:07 PM

Answers

• I figured out the Microsoft "logic" - its is really strange.

To store the window position in the desktop you must edit the code !!!

Give in a letter and delete it -> Dont save it ! -> close Access -> confirm saving -> Then at next program start you get the same position for this window.

Get rid of a window: Edit code -> Dont save it !  -> close window -> close Access -> confirm saving.

(The "dont save" it is normally a no-go for the unstable Access.)

Why couple the code with the desktop configuration? What drugs have the developers taken ?

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:24 AM

All replies

• the VBA-editor of Access opens always with the same modules. Closing of the editor windows work only during the session. After restarting of Acceess I get again all previous opened windows.

Hi Andreas,

Great, isn't it? You can continue where you has left last time.

Imb.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Hi Imb-hb, is your answer ironic or is my problem not clear. :-)

I get always the same editor windows after restarting Access. I cannot continue where I have left it before. When I close all windows and restart Access I get that dammed 30 windows chaos at same position and size  again !

Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Just maximize the editor window that is active. Then they won't be tiled or cascaded.
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi Imb-hb, is your answer ironic or is my problem not clear. :-)

I get always the same editor windows after restarting Access. I cannot continue where I have left it before. When I close all windows and restart Access I get that dammed 30 windows chaos at same position and size  again !

Hi Andreas,

To be honest, my answer was both: a little bit ironic, but for the most part because I do not experience your problem, or I do not understand what you want.

But that is perhaps because of my typical way of working. Instead of regular forms I generate dynamical forms. The instructions for these dynamics are hold in a module, working on a generalized form. These modules are collected in a library database, that is referenced by any application.

Besides of that, each application has its own modules for application specific dynamic forms. So all by all my applications are a big collection of modules, general or specific. Only me as developper will enter the modules, the end users never need to go in the VBA editor, because all needed flexibility is already available in the dynamical menus.

It even has advantages to have all modules open, when I want to search where in what module i have used some text, in terms of message, routine name, or whatever I want to search.

So in fact, I don't care whether modules are open or closed, for me it is not a problem.

Imb.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:45 PM
  • :-) a new ironic tip.

Yes, I use maximizing after program start for closing all windows - I can click 30 times at the same position - but this is not the solution.

The main problem is the very uncomfortable GUI of the VBA-Editor. In all other IDEs I use, I take indeed the maximized mode always because here I can easy switch between modules. The Ctrl-Tab switches to the previous edited module,  Ctrl-Tab-Tab to the 2. pervious etc. - so that it is no matter how big is the windows stack - I get always the important moduls on top. 

In Access (Shift)Ctrl-Tab switches the Windows in a fixed order (creation Order?). With 30 unneeded open windows this is very confusing.Working simultaneously with multiple modues is a pain in the a.... Therefore I use overlapping windows.

Unclear is why I get exactly every time this special open window combination. There must have been a time when the storing of the desktop have worked.

Any idea where Access stores the data in the DB or external userfile ?

Sunday, April 23, 2017 8:35 AM
  • I figured out the Microsoft "logic" - its is really strange.

To store the window position in the desktop you must edit the code !!!

Give in a letter and delete it -> Dont save it ! -> close Access -> confirm saving -> Then at next program start you get the same position for this window.

Get rid of a window: Edit code -> Dont save it !  -> close window -> close Access -> confirm saving.

(The "dont save" it is normally a no-go for the unstable Access.)

Why couple the code with the desktop configuration? What drugs have the developers taken ?

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:24 AM
  • The main problem is the very uncomfortable GUI of the VBA-Editor. In all other IDEs I use, I take indeed the maximized mode always because here I can easy switch between modules. The Ctrl-Tab switches to the previous edited module,  Ctrl-Tab-Tab to the 2. pervious etc. - so that it is no matter how big is the windows stack - I get always the important moduls on top.

Hi Andreas,

To switch between modules I use the "Venster"-tab ("Windows"?, just left of "Help") to select a different module. The big advantage for me it that I see the modules in the current application, but also all modules in the referenced library database. This library database is referenced by any user application that I build, and houses more than 100 modules, to do almost 90-95% of all the work in the application.

Imb.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Hi Andreas Weichert,

from your last post , I can see that you figured out your issue by your self.

so I suggest you to mark your last post as an answer.

so that we can close this thread on our side.

if you do not mark the answer then thread will remain opened.

if we talk about VBA Editor then it is not changed after Office 2003.

and you will find the same VBA Editor in Office 2003, 2007 ,2010 ,2013 and in 2016.

so we can say that it is old now and does not provide rich user interface like any other code editors provides nowadays.

but we can't change that and till Microsoft introduce new VBA Editor we have to work with current editor.

I agree with you that users are facing issues with interface when they use VBA Editor.

so if you think that in new version of MS Office, it should be get replace with new VBA Editor then you can submit your feedback to Access User Voice.

Welcome to Access Suggestion Box!

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

the logic seem to be that every VBA module stores not only its code but its windows setting (position and state) in its self. Changing code sets a changed flag, changing of the its windows-State sets not the flag. A closed window I cannot save in the editor. Thats the problem. (Besides it makes no sense to reintegrate the code in Access if I only move the window).

We know that Access is old technik and has not the most powerfull IDE. Nevertheless it is used in many many application in the world and will be used furthermore a long time.
    Therefore it is sometimes difficult to understand for me that Microsoft does not pushes it a little bit (only a very little). I think without much knowing about the code, a good Softwaredeveloper can increase the IDE with one month work much - a least the most worse issues. A simple save desktop button which works would be nice for the beginning. :-)

I will check some Editor plugins. I found the vbeTwister - not full check - what restores the last destop automatically.

Do you really believe my suggestion will change Microsoft's mind? I thing there are million other people who want a better VBA editor and Microsoft knows this.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Hi Andreas Weichert,

you had mentioned that,"Do you really believe my suggestion will change Microsoft's mind? I thing there are million other people who want a better VBA editor and Microsoft knows this."

Generally , Microsoft try to provide the features that are required by the Users.

so , to get to know what users actually want and what feature make the application more user friendly they launched the User Voice.

where users can submit their issues, requests, feedbacks, complains.

so , after that Microsoft analyze the requirements and they give higher priority to the request which is requested by large amounts of users.

and then they try to provide that feature in future.

so to submit the feedback is necessary.

everyone wants new features but if they not submit the feedback then the priority for that feature gets low points.

so it take long time to get that feature in new version.

so I suggest you to you can submit the feedback.

your one suggestion is very important for us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Hello Deepak,
    that was not a general statement of me. I know that Microsoft takes a lot effort to improve quality of the user interfaces and has interest on the suggestion (for Window, Visual Studio I know indeed user initiated improvements). But Access is a poor relation, no a real improvement since 14 years.
    Nevertheless I will make a suggest for improvements, and hope that in 15. year after standstill changes will will happen.
    I must not be the radial change. Access has a lot of unpleasant features, easy to improve. See for example the not resizable icon chooser dialog - very annoying thing when I search a special image in the small list - it is really old style - a icon preview of all images would be nice.)

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:51 AM