Unable to make intellisense work due to failed MS SQL Compact 3.5 (problem has been in forums for 4 years, not yet resolved) RRS feed

• Question

• ---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    ---------------------------
    An error occurred while creating or opening the C++ browsing database file C:\NokomisTM\sw\Nokomis.sdf. IntelliSense and browsing information will not be available for C++ projects.

Ensure that Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 is installed and that no other applications are accessing the file. If this problem persists, delete the file and reopen the solution.
    OK   
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The same issue has been submitted to the connect report, if possible, you could refer and vote them.

Reference:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/636577/c-intellisense-doesnt-work-when-a-solution-is-located-under-ntfs-junction-point

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/750401/

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I dont think either of the two references is relevant.  They seem to be using mapped network drives or other remote/virtual storage.  I am using local folders on the C: drive.

My solutions were originally just fine.  A week or so ago something changed and now all of my solutions fail.

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

If you create a simple VC# app, whether it has this issue?

I doubt that it will be related to the specific app.

Reference:

VS2010 depends on SQL Server Compact 3.5 for IntelliSense?

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:32 AM
  • If I make a new solution and create a new C# project, there is no problem.

However, if I add a C++ (MFC DLL) project, the error pops up while still in the new project wizard.

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

However, if I add a C++ (MFC DLL) project, the error pops up while still in the new project wizard.

Like the link in my precious reply, I’m afraid that we would install the SQL Server Compact 3.5 with VS for the specific MFC app, since IntelliSense works well for C# projects, but not for MFC applications.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:52 AM
  • I dont understand what you mean when you say I should "install the SQL Server Compact 3.5 with VS for the specific MFC app".  I installed SQL Server as part of the VS2010 installation, as I have done on other computers.  It worked for a while, but suddenly stopped working.  I uninstalled and reinstalled VS2010, but the problem was not changed.  I then downloaded and installed SQL from the website.  Still not fixed.

I don't understand why you refer to C# projects, but MFC applications.  My problem has nothing to do with the applications, which run fine.  The observation is that when I create a new solution with only a C# project, everything is fine.  When I add a C++ project, the VS2010 Development Software fails while it is still in the VS2010 project creation wizards.

Do you think that I need to reformat the drive and start over on the problem computer?

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:10 PM
  • If just the MFC apps have this problem, I feel that the VC++ forum will be better for this issue. I get Lucy’s reply here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/53e4b057-e0e2-42c6-9320-792bb7b82089/intellisense-error-in-visual-c-2010

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Still nothing useful.  As was pointed out in the forums, the references are not relevant to the current problem

Visual Studio 2010 remains broken on one of my computers, but works on other computers for the same solutions.

Even the simplest possible C++ project (one with no lines of code) fails.

Is there somewhere else I should turn?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Please install the VS2010 SP1.

Maybe you can uninstall and re-install your VS2010.

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:03 AM
  • One of the first things I did, as reported on Aug 19, was to uninstall and reinstall VS2010, including SP1 and including the patches that are needed to allow signing of C++ assemlies.  I have also unistalled and reinsatlled MS SQL,  Neither made any observable difference.

Visual Studio is still broken.

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:42 AM