If I "publish" - does that include libraries automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• My C# project uses some libraries from "Neurosky" inc.  I have put them in the bin folder, but I also have to add a reference to them.

My question is: when I publish the project - do those libraries automatically get included?

If not, how do I make sure they are included?

(I have thinkgear.dll in my libs folder, and I used 'add reference' to browse to this folder, and reference the dll)

Thanks.

• Edited by malikmeister Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:36 PM
    • Moved by Weiwei Cai Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:32 AM publish project related.
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 1:42 PM

Answers

• My C# project uses some libraries from "Neurosky" inc.  I have put them in the bin folder, but I also have to add a reference to them.

My question is: when I publish the project - do those libraries automatically get included?

(I have thinkgear.dll in my libs folder, and I used 'add reference' to browse to this folder, and reference the dll)

Thanks.

It depends exactly how you "publish".

If you have references to dll then they will be recognised as dependencies by most tools and the dll added to the msi / whatever for distribution.

You should test what happens when you try and install what you've published though.

Use a virtual machine if necessary and install onto it.

If you get the dll delivered into the folder you install to then you can be confident that your install process is delivering those dll.

If you don't then you know you have a problem.

Always test.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi malikmeister,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Since your problem is related to publish project, I will help you move this thread to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment forum for a better help. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:32 AM

Thanks.

It depends exactly how you "publish".

If you have references to dll then they will be recognised as dependencies by most tools and the dll added to the msi / whatever for distribution.

You should test what happens when you try and install what you've published though.

Use a virtual machine if necessary and install onto it.

If you get the dll delivered into the folder you install to then you can be confident that your install process is delivering those dll.

If you don't then you know you have a problem.

Always test.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:19 AM