locked
AD Attribute issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-1176112632 posted
    I have an application in which I send a list of AD attributes I want returned, and then I display the returned set in a grid. This works fine on my development machine (XP Pro IIS 5.1), but when I copy the application to our production server (W2K IIS 5.0) the call to AD errors out. The odd thing is that I have determined that certain attributes appear to be the culprit. I am looking for sAMACountName, department, mail, employeeID, and cn. When I pass the request on my development machine I get a dataset of our entire Active Directory with all the above attributes displayed just fine. If I run it on the production server, I get nothing. Through trial and error I have determined that my production server doesn't seem to like the sAMACountName, department, or employeeID attributes. If I remove those from my list, the other attributes are returned fine on the production server. If I even add just one of the 'bad' ones above, the DirectorySearcher routine blow up with a "Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb)" error. I'm completely stumped on this one. Obviously AD likes my development IIS server, but not our production server, and I have no idea why. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2004 4:18 PM

All replies

  • User1354132231 posted
    This could be a couple issues. One, make sure that the permissions you are using on production server are adequate. You can check that by connecting using an ldap browser (from ldapbrowser.com). If you can connect and view these attributes, then you can rule out permissions. The other issue that might be occurring is that you have cached a bad schema from connecting anonymously. If you goto your \windows\schcache and delete the files there and reboot it might fix it. Let me know if that works.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2004 9:45 AM
  • User-1176112632 posted
    Thanks Ryan. We were able to browse ok with the ldap browser, so I don't think it is a permission issue. We just cleared the cache and re-booted the production server and the same problem exists. I really thought the cache thing would do it since everything works fine when I run on the IIS server on my development pc. This one is really frustrating.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2004 2:22 PM
  • User1354132231 posted
    I heard from another user that had a similar problem that a reinstall of the framework fixed this issue. It might be worth a try... uninstall and reinstall should be pretty painless. Not my favorite solution, but one nonetheless.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2004 5:48 PM
  • User2056512907 posted

    hi,

       I had the same issue.Listing up of active directory users from the AD .When i browse the application from my machine it works fine.But when i browse from some other user machine.It throws an error

     " System.Runtime.interopServices COMexception:An operation error occured ".                         in the Searcher,FindAll() line

     

     Am  using IIS 5.1 version and VS 2008.Any for regarding this  pls share

     

    Vijay    [:'(]

     

     

     

     

    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:16 AM