none
Is it possible to set Conditional Formatting on Checkbox in Datasheet mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a bunch of checkbox controls on a Datasheet. I would like to format the background of the checkboxes on the Datasheet, and only those columns. Is this possible?

I notice those controls don't have the FormatCondition(s) methods or properties. Is there a way to add them, or some other workaround?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:45 PM

Answers

• AFAIK you cannot apply formatting to a Checkbox.

You can apply formatting to another control based on the value in that Checkbox. I believe the logic has to do with the fact that a Checkbox is either Checked or Unchecked, and the "visual cue" is there at all times. 

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

• Marked as answer by HTHP Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in... Datasheets are very powerful in some aspect but also very limited in others. So, you will have to decide which features are "must haves" and see if it's possible to apply them to continuous forms. Otherwise, you'll simply have to choose one or the other and live with the limitations.

Sorry we don't have a straight answer for your question. The best I can offer is to request for it at the UserVoice website.

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by HTHP Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• AFAIK you cannot apply formatting to a Checkbox.

You can apply formatting to another control based on the value in that Checkbox. I believe the logic has to do with the fact that a Checkbox is either Checked or Unchecked, and the "visual cue" is there at all times. 

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

• Marked as answer by HTHP Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Is is possible to just change the background of a checkbox column in datasheet mode? Without changing other columns? Not conditional, just a pre-set color.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Is is possible to just change the background of a checkbox column in datasheet mode? Without changing other columns? Not conditional, just a pre-set color.

Hi HTHP,

You are really a generator of interesting questions.

Checkboxes do not fit so well in my generalization of forms and controls. Instead I use regular Textboxes with far more possibilities. In the Click event of such a control I toggle between "" and CHR(97) of the "Marlett" font.

A wild idea?

Imb.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Imb - This is an interesting idea for Form/Continuous Form views. But you can't change the font of a single column in Datasheet view as far as I know.  Not without changing the entire datasheet font. Which makes it the rest of the data unreadable(Marlett font).

• Edited by HTHP Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:18 PM
  • This is an interesting idea for Form/Continuous Form views. But you can't change the font of a single column in Datasheet view as far as I know.  Not without changing the entire datasheet font. Which makes it the rest of the data unreadable(Marlett font).

Hi HTHP,

Ok, I did not know that. I never use Datasheet.

Instead of a Datasheet I use a "regular" form to make automatically generated Datasheet-like displays, with - again - far more possibilities.

Imb.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in... Datasheets are very powerful in some aspect but also very limited in others. So, you will have to decide which features are "must haves" and see if it's possible to apply them to continuous forms. Otherwise, you'll simply have to choose one or the other and live with the limitations.

Sorry we don't have a straight answer for your question. The best I can offer is to request for it at the UserVoice website.

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by HTHP Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:38 PM