'A dependent dll was not found' issue in remote debugging

Question

• In local debugging (Win32 platform solution), the directory Debug\myapp\AppX is created by VS and I can put program resource files (.dll, .cso, fonts, etc.) into this folder. However, in remote debugging (ARM), there is no AppX folder under ARM\Debug\myapp, so I do not know where to put those program resource files. As a result, when I start remote debugging, my app fails to start and I get the error message: 'A dependent dll was not found'. How can I fix the issue, thanks in advance.
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• You need to put the files in the package as part of the build process. Select the files in the solution browser and in its properties mark them as Content. You cannot modify the package after it has been created.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Leonard Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:01 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:58 AM
    Owner

All replies

• You need to put the files in the package as part of the build process. Select the files in the solution browser and in its properties mark them as Content. You cannot modify the package after it has been created.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Leonard Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:01 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:58 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you for your quick response Rob. I have a further question concerning your method.

My app is written in C++ and uses a couple of 3rd party libraries (compiled as .dll) and D3D shaders (compiled as .cso). These resource files are platform dependent, i.e. I build libraryA.dll for Win32 and libraryA.dll for ARM. As a result, it seems that I have to remove libraryA.dll for Win32 from the project and Add libraryA.dll for ARM when I change the solution platform from Win32 to ARM. Is there any good practice to manage these resources?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:01 AM