none
Using Excel Add-Ins with Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have created an application in Excel that we use that pulls data out of MS Project and into Excel and creates some reports and metrics for us. Rather than recreate these reports in Project Server, we'd like to be able to pull our Excel application into Project Server via an add-in.  Is there a way to do this?
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Open Excel, select the Data Tab, pick Connections, and point directly to
    the SQL PWA Reporting database for Project Server.

From a security standpoint, you can also create a custom ODC file that pulls
    the required data and then can be consumed by Excel. See my blog link for
    a couple of examples - in fact, I just posted one today.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:54 PM

All replies

• Not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve but why not leverage Excel Services and add its webpart in PWA?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:10 PM
  • I can do that, but then I have to know how to pull the data from project server into the tool (opposed to pulling the data out of MS Project like we're doing now).  Is there some documentation that shows how you can write code in Excel to pull the data from Project Server?  Or does it work the same way as it does to pull it out of MS Project, just that you have to know the field names?
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:19 PM
  • So if I pull in the workbook as a webpart, how do I pull the data out of Project Server into Excel, versus what we're doing now and pulling the data directly out of MS Project?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Open Excel, select the Data Tab, pick Connections, and point directly to
    the SQL PWA Reporting database for Project Server.

From a security standpoint, you can also create a custom ODC file that pulls
    the required data and then can be consumed by Excel. See my blog link for
    a couple of examples - in fact, I just posted one today.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Are there limitations on using a webpart if you are running a lot of macros in the Excel workbook?  Our excel workbook has about 1400 lines of code and roughly 88 macros.  We are finding there are issues with the security and all of the macros.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Now you're getting away from the Project Server realm and more into Excel
    Services territory. You may want to repost that in either the SharePoint
    forum or one more appropriate to Excel Services - perhaps a BI discussion....

All I can add is that I've heard from my clients that macros are kind of
    a sticking point with the use of Excel Services.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:32 PM