none
can't install any version of .net framework beyond 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am on dialup. I am trying to install a preview copy of Corel Digital Studio. It got just so far and then was looking for .net framework. Corel informed me that it was yet another in a long line of updates I needed for my computer and gave me a link to microsoft to obtain it. The link was to the 2.0 version which appeared to download just fine. But then Digital Studio told me it was looking for .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. Great, just what I needed to hear...an update for an update!
    Problem is I can't get 3.5 SP1 to download. I have tried more than once but the download crawls along anywhere from 0-3 kb/sec which is ridiculous even for dialup. To make matters worse, once it downloads about 5 MB of info, it suddenly resests everything to 0 and starts trying to download again.
    I thought maybe I would need to download the 3.5 version itself first, since I only had 2.0. I have been trying to download that now for more than an hour. I have arrived at the 2 MB mark. At this rate it will be midnight before It gets to the 5 MB mark and I'm guessing it will cut out, too.
    Why is my computer having such difficulties with these updates? I have XP with service pack 3 installed. All my other drivers were recently updated. I have been doing nothing but updated my computer for the last 3 weeks. It never ends. Why aren't these updates automatically included with XP updates so people don't have to hunt down each item individually? I didn't even know half of these things existed.
    Sorry, some grousing there....but my main question is...how do I get .Net Framework properly updated so I can install Digital Studio and get on with my life? Since I can't find any way to contact microsoft to get an answer, I am really hoping some kind soul on this forum has an answer.
    Thank you.

Quick update...seems I didn't have to wait until midnight...just checked how the download was coming...didn't even get to the 3 MB mark...it has already reset itself and is starting all over again. At this rate, I'm never going to get this thing update. Grrrrrr!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Forest dreamer,

Thank you for your post. I can understand your worries on this issue. Let's begin to troubleshoot it.

Based on your description, it seems that your issue is related to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 downloading.

Could you please try downloading .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full package from the following official website?
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

You can try other web browser or some download manager software to download it again.

Hope this helps! If you still have any doubt and concern about this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, November 23, 2009 2:54 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Forest dreamer,

Thank you for your post. I can understand your worries on this issue. Let's begin to troubleshoot it.

Based on your description, it seems that your issue is related to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 downloading.

Could you please try downloading .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full package from the following official website?
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

You can try other web browser or some download manager software to download it again.

Hope this helps! If you still have any doubt and concern about this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, November 23, 2009 2:54 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Hi YiChun, Thank you for responding to my question. The version of 3.5 SP1 download you have pointed me to is a different one from the one I've been trying to download. That one was only about 60 MB, but this one is over 200. Since I'm on dialup, it's going to take me several hours to try to download such a huge file so I'll do it tonight. But could you confirm something for me, please? Currently I have .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 on my computer. Do I have to download the 3.5 version before I can download the update you mentioned? I tried downloading 3.5 but didn't have any more luck with that than the SP1 update. Maybe I was again trying to access the wrong file. I just don't want to take 12 hours or more to download the SP1 update only to find it doesn't work because I needed to download something else first. (Surely, there must be an easier way to keep computers updated than this!) May I also ask, is there any way a person can get help from Microsoft itself? Or does MS just leave it to users to band together in a forum to try to help each other out with questions MS techs should be answering? Thank you again for your help!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hi Forest dreamer,

Thank you for your reply.

That one was only about 60 MB, but this one is over 200. Since I'm on dialup, it's going to take me several hours to try to download such a huge file so I'll do it tonight. Currently I have .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 on my computer. Do I have to download the 3.5 version before I can download the update you mentioned? I tried downloading 3.5 but didn't have any more luck with that than the SP1 update. Maybe I was again trying to access the wrong file. I just don't want to take 12 hours or more to download the SP1 update only to find it doesn't work because I needed to download something else first. (Surely, there must be an easier way to keep computers updated than this!) May I also ask, is there any way a person can get help from Microsoft itself? Or does MS just leave it to users to band together in a forum to try to help each other out with questions MS techs should be answering? Thank you again for your help!

The installer which I posted above is the full redistributable package of .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1. Full package is a stand-alone installer package that contains all required components to deploy different platforms. So we can notice that the size is much bigger than the other installer. If you download this package, you don't need to download .NET Framework 3.5 before this package since this installer is the full package of .NET 3.5 + SP1. You can directly download it and run this installer.

May I also ask, is there any way a person can get help from Microsoft itself? Or does MS just leave it to users to band together in a forum to try to help each other out with questions MS techs should be answering? Thank you again for your help!

To get help from Microsoft, you can post your concern on Microsoft forums. Besides members in the forums, our engineers from Microsoft and experts are willing to help you on your concern. :)

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi YiChun,
    Thank you for your advice. Fortunately, there is an internet cafe in the little village near where I live so I was able to download a copy of the file you suggested. I installed it on my computer and now the program I was trying to use finally works.
    You have been very helpful!
    Much appreciated!

Morgan
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Hi Forest dreamer,

It's my pleasure! :)

I'm so glad to hear that good news. Cheer!

Have a great week.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:54 AM