Add built-in support for RAM disks

General discussion

• RAM disks - is a great opportunity for Windows 8!

Many users have 4Gb of RAM (about 30% of all systems) but use only 3.5Gb. Why not use other 512 Mb for super speed tasks?

Many users have more than 5Gb of RAM (about 25% of all systems) and many of them need a fast disk for computations.

About 25% of all systems have 3Gb, 17% have 2Gb. Now when DRAM has the lowest price in Windows 8 should not be restrictions on the amount of memory.

I know that 1Gb is enough for ARM. This is another reason why manufacturer should produce tablets with 4Gb.

More than 50% of Mac users already have 4Gb of RAM and they already have RAM disks!

• Edited by QuizUG Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:50 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:49 AM

All replies

• I agree with you, native support for fast-performing RAM disks would be nice in Windows 8.

A question, "Mac users ... already have RAM disk", can you please elaborate? I am not familiar that they "already have" it.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Mac OS 9 with GUI, Mac OS X with terminal window.

http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/23/create-a-ram-disk-in-mac-os-x/

I think best option is RAM disk for system and developers/admins.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:20 AM
  • In Linux you can also create ramdisk or use tempfs from version 2.4
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I also learned that Andorid also use ram disk containing the core files needed to initialize the system. I think Windows use the same method and initialization for user ram disk can be integrated in this process.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for the information, QuizUG.

I have heard they've added some very nice native support for mounting .iso image files, which I think is great news! It eliminates the need for unoptimized 3rd-party extensions and very well deserves to be implemented into the core OS in a clean and non-invasive way. It's a feature that helps, without downsides.

On a similar note, I hope they add native support for ram-disks to the OS.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:04 PM
  • RAM disks for:

• Registry, assembly cache, GAC
    • Pagefile, hibernate, cache and temporary files
    • Security files with fast CPU cryptography
    • SQL temp tables and may be views and indexes
    • Boot/core part of virtual disks in Virtual PC
    • File table of mounted ISO or VHD
    • and many other scenarios

Moreover Windows already have small part of this:

"Files created with both FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY and FILE_FLAG_DELETE_ON_CLOSE are held in memory and only written to disk if the system experiences low memory pressure."

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:32 AM