none
How to create and quickly navigate a document by subject. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an expandable document that gathers information into subject catagories, over time, that includes a table of contents. As I gather information I want to quickly be able to navigate to the appropriate subject and paste it in.  What is the format that will allow me to do that most efficiently?  I need to be able to quickly get to the subject and paste in the information over and over until I build my reference book.  Thanks!

I figured it out!  I created headings, then added a table of contents, then opened the navigation pane, and BAM!  I can quickly get to all my subjects.  Thanks Guys!

• Edited by 101George Saturday, December 8, 2018 6:52 PM
    Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:54 PM

All replies

• Simply create headings for each of your categories - using an appropriate Heading Style, then insert a Table of Contents at the start of the document. By default, clicking on a Table of Contents entry will take you to the relevant heading. If you add the hyperlink forward/back arrows to the QAT, you can even use those to navigate between wherever you are and a heading or Table of Contents entry. In Outline view, you can also expand/contract content by Heading without recourse to the Table of Contents.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, December 8, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Hi George,

Did macropod's answer resolved your problem?
    You can mark it as answer if it helped and please help us close the thread. 

Best Regadrs,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:38 AM