can't create a storage account -> blank window RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Azure, but I've succeded in creating a Cloud Shell and creating and connecting to an Azure PostgreSQL instance. Creating the Cloud Shell automatically created a resource group, a storage account and a File service. The created resource group is located in the East US region, so I thought I'd try to manually create a resource group and a storage account.

Creating a resource group *was* easy. I did learn through this process that Cloud Shell prefers (requires?) a resource group located in the East US region. But then I ran into problems:

• I actually can't create a resource group anymore. I just get an empty panel with some toggling dots (the modern spinning cursor). I can scroll to the left to return to the Create Resource Group form, but the create resource group request never completes.
    • I get the same behaviour with creating a storage account.

Earlier in this experience I could get further, but I had other problems where I couldn't build a Cloud Shell from an existing resource group. Now I can create a Cloud Shell using the automatic technique (letting Azure create the resource group, storage account and File service), but this is very slow and sometimes doesn't work.

My guess is that my account is hung and that somewhere there are a bunch of create requests (that I don't see) waiting around to complete. So I need some help...

--Dan

UPDATE 1: I can individually create these services again, but I can't use the Advanced option to create a Cloud Shell. Also the Cloud Shell region keeps changing from East US to West US. Choosing Advanced and then selecting new resource group, new storage account, new file service fails. If all this sounds like a lot of detail, I'm trying to find a way to use a combination of existing services to create a Cloud Shell.

UPDATE 2: Why am I deep diving on this? Well, it's a learning/testing experience. Moveover, I also want to create one resource group to host my containers and I want the Cloud Shell to be in that resource group.

• Edited by highpost Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:30 AM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 11:28 PM

All replies

• Cloud Shell machines are temporary and as a result require an Azure file share to be mounted as clouddrive to persist your $Home directory. On first launch Cloud Shell prompts to create a resource group, storage account, and file share on your behalf. This is a one-time step and will be automatically attached for all sessions.

Cloud Shell provisions machines on a per-request basis and as a result machine state will not persist across sessions. Since Cloud Shell is built for interactive sessions, shells automatically terminate after 20 minutes of shell inactivity.

An advanced option is also provided allowing you to associate existing resources to Cloud Shell. When presented with the storage setup prompt, click "Show advanced settings" to select additional options. Dropdowns are filtered for your assigned Cloud Shell region and locally/globally-redundant storage accounts.

For more details, refer “Overview of Azure Cloud Shell (Preview)”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:10 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I understand the impermanence of Cloud Shells, but I'm unclear why they're created for me in different regions. I'm in Seattle, so naturally I want all my resources to be created locally. If I create a PostgreSQL instance in the US West region, then I want the Cloud Shell and any other resource or service to be created in that region as well. I *thought* I could do this explicitly with a Cloud Shell by using the Advanced option.

To be clear, I create a resource group/storage account/file share in the US West region and Azure seems to ignore that with a dialog box that says "You have no storage mounted."

• Edited by highpost Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:05 AM
  • The Azure files must reside in the same region as the Cloud Shell machine that you're mounting them to. Cloud Shell clusters currently exist in the following regions:

Note: If you're mounting a new file share, a new user image is created for your $Home directory, because your previous $Home image is kept in the previous file share.

Run the cloud drive mount command with the following parameters:

clouddrive mount -s mySubscription -g myRG -n storageAccountName -f fileShareName

For more details, refer “Persist files in Azure Cloud Shell”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for your help. That looks like it could be useful, but I've run into a chicken and egg problem: I need a Cloud Shell instance to run the clouddrive command and if I use a US East Coast region it already has a clouddrive partition mounted. Alternatively, I thought I could do this from the Azure CLI from my local Linux system, but it doesn't have a clouddrive command. It only has the az command set.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Currently, you have only these options:

On initial start, Cloud Shell prompts you to associate a new or existing file share to persist files across sessions.

Create new storage:

When you use basic settings and select only a subscription, Cloud Shell creates three resources on your behalf in the supported region that's nearest to you:+

• Resource group: cloud-shell-storage-<region>
    • Storage account: cs<uniqueGuid>
    • File share: cs-<user>-<domain>-com-<uniqueGuid>

Use existing resources:

By using the advanced option, you can associate existing resources. When the storage setup prompt appears, select Show advanced settings to view additional options. Existing file shares receive a 5-GB user image to persist your $Home directory. The drop-down menus are filtered for your Cloud Shell region and for local-redundant & geo-redundant storage accounts.

I would suggest you to provide your feedback here:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/598699-azure-cloud-shell

All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Thank you.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/598699-azure-cloud-shell/suggestions/30962017-make-the-advanced-settings-accept-existing-resourc

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Thank you for providing your feedback.

All of the feedback you share here will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cloud Shell engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will help us shape the future of Cloud Shell. 

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for reaching out to us - I've just responded to your post in our feedback forum. There are some bits of info in there that should help you resolve this issue, such as double checking your storage account is LRS or GRS to ensure it can create a file share (our dropdowns are filtered for these storage account types). Also check that your intended resources to be mounted are in the same region that Cloud Shell has assigned you to (find it in the UI dialog message "Cloud Shell requires storage accounts in your Cloud Shell region (xx xx) to be LRS or GRS.".

If you are hitting a specific storage creation error, please include the error message to help debug - but it sounds like you aren't seeing resources in dropdowns that you expect to see.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:29 PM