Will upgrdingfrom Windows XP to Windows 2007 effect SQLSERVER 2008 R1 settings in any way? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a basic windows XP system on which we decided to install SQLSERVER 2008 R1. I am currently running office 2010 along with few basic applications on my current windows XP system. I was needing more memory( I currently have only 3GB RAM) as I was running into issues refreshing data on the excel report due to memory issues. I asked my IT gy to provide m with *GB memory and now he says I will need to upgrade my OS to windows 2007 since XP has limitation of 3GB( really?)_

Having said all of that, can I upgrade to windows 2007 without disturbing my current jobs and settings in sqlserver 2008R1? Have there been any known problems with 2008R1 after the upgrade?

Thanks so much for your help

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• According to the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

x86 (32-bit) versions of WinXP and Windows 7 both have 4GB limit.

Your IT guy probably suggested you to install X64 (64-bit) version of Windows 7. To be able to use all the available memory on the computer, you will want to install 64-bit version of Microsoft Excel and PowerPivot too.

Tatyana Yakushev [PredixionSoftware.com]
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:24 PM