none
UMDF Driver space execution Vs Application based invocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I would like to develop a function driver for the USB device which handles the IO control, read and write requests. I am using application to read/write into the function driver. The application should be invoked automatically when the device is detected.

Possible Ways :

1. Create a service and register for the Device plugged in notification and perform the required operations. The UMDF function driver wil be loaded automatically to provide the read/write functionality to the connected device.

2. In the UMDF driver itself do all the read/write sequences. Read/write sequences will be quite big and code is generated as .dll.

3. Inside the UMDF function driver itself register for a timer with call back functionality. The call back functionality will invoke the read/write API inside .dll, when the function driver had created FDO and it is ready to handle read/write functionality.

Which of the above method will be better approach. My requirement is to detect a device and make some data transfer for some time. It can be through UMDF/KMDF/APP/Services whatever.

Thanks

lyf4sci

lyf4sci

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:36 AM

Answers

• option or two . After the Io, if you don't need to have the driver yall to an app, two is more self contained. If the device only does this one thing or whose sole purpose is to talk to the app, skip your own driver and use winusb

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:23 PM