none
Server Weakness RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all Technet Team, I have one question. The question is what are the weakness that install all application on one server? Can anyone answer for me. I am waiting for answer.

Best regards,

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:28 AM

Answers

• This biggest issue here is the number of users you plan to support with this setup. If you are going to use a single server to handle all your SharePoint needs, the front end, the application and the database, then it is going to be a busy server. SQL likes RAM, so SharePoint will now be competing with the SQL engine for resources. Each Web application you create will need RAM, so they will be competing for resources. Search requires processing power, so it will be competing for resources. Also, having everything on one server means a single point of failure, and I mean single. If anything happens to that one server, SharePoint is offline and you need to rebuild everything before you can get working again. Splitting out the databases onto a separate SQL server will allow you to cluster the databases for fault tolerance. Splitting out the application duties from the front end duties lets you spread your processing power over different systems, if need be. Splitting out the SharePoint duties from the SQL duties is at least what most people would recommend you do. Having a single server running SharePoint as your app\web front end can function quite well in smaller environments with a separate SQL instance for the databases.

What is you objective here?

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:09 AM

All replies

• This biggest issue here is the number of users you plan to support with this setup. If you are going to use a single server to handle all your SharePoint needs, the front end, the application and the database, then it is going to be a busy server. SQL likes RAM, so SharePoint will now be competing with the SQL engine for resources. Each Web application you create will need RAM, so they will be competing for resources. Search requires processing power, so it will be competing for resources. Also, having everything on one server means a single point of failure, and I mean single. If anything happens to that one server, SharePoint is offline and you need to rebuild everything before you can get working again. Splitting out the databases onto a separate SQL server will allow you to cluster the databases for fault tolerance. Splitting out the application duties from the front end duties lets you spread your processing power over different systems, if need be. Splitting out the SharePoint duties from the SQL duties is at least what most people would recommend you do. Having a single server running SharePoint as your app\web front end can function quite well in smaller environments with a separate SQL instance for the databases.

What is you objective here?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Dear Daniel,

I would like to say thank you very much. This answer is so good for me to know clearly about the effect for using one server to deploy SharePoint and everything.

Best regard,

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:52 AM
  • You're welcome.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:51 AM