none
"Could not get type information for <appname>.dataset"

Question

• VS2005, trying to generate a dataset from an SQLAdaptor.  I get this error:

"Could not get type information for <appname>.dataset"

The ..xsd file is generated but apparently there's another file supposed to go with it?  (I don't know because it has never got as far as that)

I know the connection is ok as I can preview the data

In google groups, one of Microsoft's 'Community Support' people suggested that this is an intended feature of VS2005.  What?  They're not serious surely?  Looking at the answers returned from a search in MSDN suggests that Microsoft themselves have no clue what this error is either. 

So, can anyone solve this for me?  Or is my data application going to be 'data-lite' for now and ever more (which if it is, means that we're going to send the VS2005 discs back to Microsoft in a bag of poo)

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:27 PM

All replies

• I got the same error message and traced it to having a is a reserved word, i.e. "System", as a.field name in the database.

Changing the field name and reconnecting to the  database solved the problem

Hope the helps

Saturday, October 28, 2006 7:20 PM
  • I ran into the same problem...I "fixed" it by exiting VisulalStudio, running it again and opening my project.  Then the datasource was there(showing up in the DataSources tab and everything) and ready to use.  I dropped it onto a control and it worked fine.  Nice work MS!

• Proposed as answer by jtjanes99 Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:50 AM
    Friday, February 2, 2007 3:35 PM
  • The "System" name for the table solved my problem.  Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:49 PM
  • thank you my friend saved me alot of bother!
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:13 AM
  •  

Hi there,

Check out my workaround on the matter at:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/Workaround.aspx?FeedbackID=113567

Or by searching feedback "Could not get type information" on the site if the link above doesn't work (just make sure the FeedbackID matches).

Chris

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:51 AM
  •  

That is exactly what my problem was.  That is what I get for using poor naming conventions.  Thanks a lot man, I was racking my brain over this one.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I also had the same error as you but I discovered this error is because the user name on the computer that contains the special character "&" leads to faulty connection in VS. Then I used another name change to the normal connection.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:22 PM
  • I was also getting this error but thankfully figured out what I did to create it and also to solve it. 

How I got the error to appear:

1.  I was just beginning to start up a new development project.  I added a 3rd project named "DAL" to my Visual Studio solution.  

2.  I had already created a Settings class (Database.settings) to my 2nd project named Utilities.  This settings file contained a connection string to my main database which I wanted to create the database to.

3. I created my dataSet in Utilities by mistake, but with no errors.  I then realized I was in the wrong project and deleted the dataSet I just created.

4. I cut and pasted my Database.settings file from Utilities to DAL.

5. I recreated the dataSet but then got the error "Could not get type information for <appname>.dataset".

My Solution

After researching the internet and making sure I didn't have any system like column names, I decided to try my own solution:

1.  Deleted the dataSet that caused an error.

2. Deleted the Database.settings file and recreated it in the correct project, "DAL".

3. Recreated the dataSet and it worked with no errors.  

I got this idea since when you create the dataSet with the setup wizard is asks for a data connection - if you already have a settings file with a connection string in it, it pre-populates that screen in the wizard with what you've already created.  

So - in short if you are getting this error - delete and recreate your settings file and then try to recreate your dataSet.  It might work for you like it did for me.

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:41 PM
  • I was also getting this error but thankfully figured out what I did to create it and also to solve it. 

How I got the error to appear:

1.  I was just beginning to start up a new development project.  I added a 3rd project named "DAL" to my Visual Studio solution.  

2.  I had already created a Settings class (Database.settings) to my 2nd project named Utilities.  This settings file contained a connection string to my main database which I wanted to create the database to.

3. I created my dataSet in Utilities by mistake, but with no errors.  I then realized I was in the wrong project and deleted the dataSet I just created.

4. I cut and pasted my Database.settings file from Utilities to DAL.

5. I recreated the dataSet but then got the error "Could not get type information for <appname>.dataset".

My Solution

After researching the internet and making sure I didn't have any system like column names, I decided to try my own solution:

1.  Deleted the dataSet that caused an error.

2. Deleted the Database.settings file and recreated it in the correct project, "DAL".

3. Recreated the dataSet and it worked with no errors.  

I got this idea since when you create the dataSet with the setup wizard is asks for a data connection - if you already have a settings file with a connection string in it, it pre-populates that screen in the wizard with what you've already created.  

So - in short if you are getting this error - delete and recreate your settings file and then try to recreate your dataSet.  It might work for you like it did for me.

I would propose your post as the answer for an old thread but I've no idea if it answers the original question as what you are doing is outside of my scope of knowledge. So I voted for your post. Perhaps Carl Cai or Reed Kimble will see this thread and know if what you mention is relevant to the original question as far as correcting the issue.

La vida loca

Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:46 AM
  • John, 

There is no correct answer in it. It is as far as I could see in my opinion just all bla bla.

An applicationname.dataset is a Type designed with a special kind of xml (xsd). To get information from it, it has to be instanced with 

Private MyDataSet as new application.TheDataSet

Success
    Cor

Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:25 AM
  • John, 

There is no correct answer in it. It is as far as I could see in my opinion just all bla bla.

An applicationname.dataset is a Type designed with a special kind of xml (xsd). To get information from it, it has to be instanced with 

Private MyDataSet as new application.TheDataSet

Success
    Cor

Oh. Well that makes sense to a degree considering my scope of knowledge about what you mention.

La vida loca

Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:17 AM