none
Using BizTalk to transfer files (FTP) RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using Robo FTP to transfer files from one location to another. I have been task with figuring out of these transfers should be taken over by BizTalk. Is it common to use BizTalk to only transfer files from one location to another? No Schema, No Orchestration etc?   I am used to processing/transforming data using BizTalk.  My fear is that the organization will turn BizTalk into a FTP transfer service. Any suggestions? 
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 4:01 AM

Answers

• Using BizTalk for transfering files to/from FTP is a perfect valid scenario. 

Although I probably wouldn't buy BizTalk just for moving files, it has several advantages to include together with whatever you are already doing in BizTalk.

-Monitoring the flow.

-Limit the number of Integration engines.

-Flexible set up if FTP Scheme changes (from regular FTP to FTPS etc.)

Of course if you are talking about a large quantity of very large files throughout the day, it might have an impact of the performance of your BizTalk Server. Otherwise I think it is great that your company/customer can find more uses for this great product, now that they have already purchased it.

Morten la Cour

• Marked as answer by JordanJ08 Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:27 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• Using BizTalk for transfering files to/from FTP is a perfect valid scenario. 

Although I probably wouldn't buy BizTalk just for moving files, it has several advantages to include together with whatever you are already doing in BizTalk.

-Monitoring the flow.

-Limit the number of Integration engines.

-Flexible set up if FTP Scheme changes (from regular FTP to FTPS etc.)

Of course if you are talking about a large quantity of very large files throughout the day, it might have an impact of the performance of your BizTalk Server. Otherwise I think it is great that your company/customer can find more uses for this great product, now that they have already purchased it.

Morten la Cour

• Marked as answer by JordanJ08 Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:27 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Thank you for replying. I had a slight bias in making my evaluation. Your answer helped greatly!
    • Edited by JordanJ08 Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:27 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:26 PM