Popfly, MySpace, and hidden keys

Question

•  

Howdy!

I'm really new to Popfly, and loving the possibilities!

But I have a question. I've recently created a Popfly block that wraps that available MySpace RESTful web services (those that are available anyway - MyDpace is still currently in the development stages), and while I've got my Block pulling in data just fine, I'd love to share it with others to spread the Popfly love on the world's biggest social network. There's just one problem - in order for the block to work, it has to authenticate web service requests using a secret key, and I've currently got that key written directly into the Popfly block code. Now, normally I wouldn't mind sharing that key, but I'm worried that unscrupulious people would use to spam, harvest data, or do other not-so-nice things to the people who want to Popfly-Enable thier MySpace accounts.

I suspect that the Facebook API has a similar consumer key/secret pair that Popfly keeps secret, and was wondering if there was something that could be done similarly with MySpace. IF not, can anyone think of a way I can make the Block's code public without giving that key away? Any ideas would be welcome.

And, as a complete aside and really is more of a Javascript question than a Popfly one, but does anyone know of a good way to handle OAuth authentication in javascript? Currently, the authentication code I'm using takes up a whopping 550 lines of code (mostly because I basically stole it from the public JS OAuth library available at OAuth.net). Its so bulky and ugly, and, honestly, oesn't fit well into the Popfly rnentality of encapulsation.

Keep in mind, please, that I'm pretty muh a javascipt newbie, and any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:20 PM

Answers

• Popfly doesn't currently support hiding the keys for user-contributed blocks that require developer keys. It's on our to-do list, but we're not sure when we'll get to it. ;-)

John

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:38 PM

All replies

• Remy,

You're right about Facebook.

When you drag a Facebook block onto the canvas, it initially reports "Missing Key". When you click that text, it prompts you to enter a one-time code -- which you generate by visitng Facebook using the link provided.

You can manage this Developer Key (update, or remove it), along with any other developer keys you have (e.g. flickr), by choosing Developer Keys from the Popfly My Stuff menu. Not sure about MySpace off the top of my head, but I guess it would work the same way.

Tony Loton -- author, "Introduction to Microsoft Popfly, No Programming Required" http://www.lulu.com/content/1750346

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Popfly doesn't currently support hiding the keys for user-contributed blocks that require developer keys. It's on our to-do list, but we're not sure when we'll get to it. ;-)

John

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:38 PM