Need help with System.IO.IOException on file.SaveAs (File Upload) RRS feed

• Question

• User-666661156 posted

Hey Everyone, 

I recently started getting an error on a file upload piece of code that worked previously. It does work currently in some environments, but just not on my machine or on some test servers. The error that I get is "The process cannot access the file (Filename) because it is being used by another process". Basically the file first gets uploaded to a folder within the application before it gets uploaded to a web service. Here is my code (the highlighted line is where the error occurs): 

if (file != null && file.ContentLength > 0)
                        {

//Convert file to Base64binary for upload using web services
                            string fileNameResult = Path.GetFileName(file.FileName);
                            bool exists = System.IO.Directory.Exists(Server.MapPath("~/Uploads"));
                            if (!exists)
                            {
                                System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(Server.MapPath("~/Uploads"));
                            }
                            file.SaveAs(System.IO.Path.Combine(Server.MapPath("~/Uploads"), fileNameResult));
                            string FilePath = Server.MapPath("~/Uploads") + "\\" + fileNameResult;
                            FileInfo fInfo = new FileInfo(FilePath);
                            long numBytes = fInfo.Length;
                            //FileStream fStream = new FileStream(file.FileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);
                            FileStream fStream = new FileStream(FilePath, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);
                            BinaryReader br = new BinaryReader(fStream);
                            byte[] data = br.ReadBytes(Convert.ToInt32(numBytes));

//Upload the File
                            System.Xml.XmlNode xmlUploadResult;
                            Service dsWSdev = new Service();
                            xmlUploadResult = dsWSdev.ApplyUpload("AppUserDev", "Pass4word", "DocuShare", String.Empty, String.Empty, false, CollectionPathSAT, ConfirmationNumber + "-" + fileNameResult, data);

//Check Upload Result, If Result is not 200 then an error occurred. 200 OK
                            string strResult = xmlUploadResult.FirstChild.InnerText.ToString();

if (strResult != "200")
                            {
                                // create the error message
                                throw new ArgumentException("Error uploading the document: " + xmlUploadResult.InnerText.ToString());
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                strResult2 = xmlUploadResult.InnerText;
                                string splithhandle = strResult2.Split('-').Last(); 
                                docushareFileLink += staticURL + splithhandle + "/" + fileNameResult + ", ";
                            }
                            fStream.Flush();
                            br.Close();
                            fStream.Close();
                            if (strResult == "200")
                            {
                                System.IO.File.Delete(FilePath);
                            }

}

Any ideas ? I'm not sure why it stopped working all of a sudden, I even added Full Access to the folder through the security settings. Appreciate any help, thanks!

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:43 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

The error generally indicates a stream is not properly disposed.  Use "using" statements around stream resources.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:51 PM
  • User-666661156 posted

I'm not sure why it works in some instances. Any idea on how I can dispose the stream ? 

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:53 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I'm not sure why it works in some instances. Any idea on how I can dispose the stream ? 

Use "using" statements around stream resources.  

There is no indication what the file is named.

Never use the file name from the user input.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:57 PM
  • User-666661156 posted

rankone

Use "using" statements around stream resources.  

There is no indication what the file is named.

Never use the file name from the user input.

As these are documents that the User uploads, I have to use the file name from the file input control unfortunately. So such as: 

foreach (var file in files)
                    {
                    }

The error occurs before the file stream though, at the file.SaveAs line. So should I be enclosing that in a using statement ? Moreover, how as I can't set it to a variable. 

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 9:27 PM
  • User475983607 posted

See the openly published docs for proper file name handling,  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.ui.webcontrols.fileupload.saveas?view=netframework-4.7.2

Hopefully, this will fix the issue  Otherwise, you'll need to add better exception handling to figure out what's going on.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 9:31 PM
  • User303363814 posted

I'm guessing that you have a button on a page that is called 'Upload' or something similar which triggers the process you have shown.

what would happen if a user double-clicked that button?  Or clicked it twice in quick succession?

Perhaps you need to disable the button as soon as it is clicked to prevent a file being uploaded again before it has been processed.

Just a thought

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:02 PM
  • User-666661156 posted

I'm guessing that you have a button on a page that is called 'Upload' or something similar which triggers the process you have shown.

what would happen if a user double-clicked that button?  Or clicked it twice in quick succession?

Perhaps you need to disable the button as soon as it is clicked to prevent a file being uploaded again before it has been processed.

Just a thought

It's being done through HTTPPost on form submit. So the upload only happens once. 

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:23 PM
  • User475983607 posted
    Does not stop a double tap.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:02 PM
  • User-666661156 posted

Does not stop a double tap.

I can look in to it, what would you recommend I do to prevent the double tap. Basically on the submit button a confirmation box pops up. When confirmed, the submit is executed, so that's the process I'm currently working with. 

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:11 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I can look in to it, what would you recommend I do to prevent the double tap. Basically on the submit button a confirmation box pops up. When confirmed, the submit is executed, so that's the process I'm currently working with. 

Use JavaScript to disable a second click.  IMHO, you need to come up with a troubleshooting plan and that probably revolves around crafting a more detailed error message so you know what's going on at the time of the error.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:22 PM
  • User-1716253493 posted

Seem like the file still uploading at the moment

Try check, if the file is in use to avoid error

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/876473/is-there-a-way-to-check-if-a-file-is-in-use

protected virtual bool IsFileLocked(FileInfo file)
    {
        FileStream stream = null;

try
        {
            stream = file.Open(FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.None);
        }
        catch (IOException)
        {
            //the file is unavailable because it is:
            //still being written to
            //or being processed by another thread
            //or does not exist (has already been processed)
            return true;
        }
        finally
        {
            if (stream != null)
                stream.Close();
        }

//file is not locked
        return false;
    }

or simply use try-catch block to skip it

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:48 AM