What would you like to keep....... Nothing??

Question

• I just finally finished downloading the new Developers preview for my PC, BUT, in the preparations sections of installing, it says "What would you like to keep?" and the only option available is "Nothing." Well, here is my question: Is this referring to all of my files? I have hundreds of school files saved that I need along with numerous programs (like VS2010, Lots of Java stuff, Games, etc) and I can't really afford for all of them to just go POOF! So, does this really wipe them out? Can I dual boot this? Any way to revert once I decide to go all the way? Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:15 AM

Answers

• The Windows Developer Preview with developer tools does not offer the option of migrating existing users and settings i.e. Nothing.  This will only upgrade the operating system.  As in any "clean" upgrade your Windows directory will be renamed to Windows.old.  Your documents and other files will not be touched.  However, as Jeff Sanders recommends backing up any and all content is your best bet when installing pre-release software.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron,

The preview with tools does a clean install (see the following link)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/apps/br229516/

You could do a dual boot but as with any changes make sure you first back up all of your important files to another drive or media such as a DVD.

To dual boot you would install to a new primary partition.  If you search http://technet.microsoft.com there are some great articles on how to do this and it is tailored to various operating systems.

Again make sure you backup important files before trying on these Developer Previews and have fun!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:17 PM
  • You best bet is to use virtualization software - I'm partial to VirtualBox, and it's free.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:26 PM
  • The Windows Developer Preview with developer tools does not offer the option of migrating existing users and settings i.e. Nothing.  This will only upgrade the operating system.  As in any "clean" upgrade your Windows directory will be renamed to Windows.old.  Your documents and other files will not be touched.  However, as Jeff Sanders recommends backing up any and all content is your best bet when installing pre-release software.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:13 PM