PowerPivot Concatinate vs Breakout RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a PowerPivot of orders that is built out of records of items on each order.

Example:

Order, Item, Cost, Quantity,Total

1234, Handle Bars, $15, 1,$15

1234, Seat, $7,1,$7

1234, Wheels, $15,2,$30

9874, Helmet, $30,1,$30

I need to be able to show the report grouped by order number with the Item descriptions concatinated into a singular field and the total number of items in the order, order total, and the Rank of the order with the largest total being #1.

Example:

Order, Item, Quantity,Total, Rank

1234, Handle Bars- Seat- Wheels- Helmet, 4, $52, 1

9874, Helmet, 1, $30, 2

And I also need to be able to show the item breakout by Rank.

Order, Item, Cost, Quantity,Total, Rank

1234, Handle Bars, $15, 1,$15,1

1234, Seat, $7,1,$7, 1

1234, Wheels, $15,2,$30, 1

9874, Helmet, $30,1,$30, 2

Any ideas?

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:05 PM

Answers

• Ok, I am a little short of time, so will post the solution (and explain it sometime later maybe)

1) Create a hidden calculated column called Rnk

=RANKX(filter(ALL(Table1), [Order]=EARLIER([Order])), [Item],,1,DENSE)

2) Create a hidden calculated column called ParRnk

=if(Table1[Rnk]<>1, Table1[Rnk]-1)

3) Create a hidden calculated column called ParItem 

=calculate(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Item],1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Rnk]=EARLIER(Table1[ParRnk])),VALUES(Table1[Order]))

4) Create a calculated column called ConCol. This will give you the Item descriptions concatenated into a singular field

=calculate(path(Table1[Item], Table1[ParItem]), CALCULATETABLE(filter(Table1, Table1[Rnk]=max(Table1[Rnk])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Order]))

5) Create a measure called TotRank. This will give you Rank of the order with the largest total being #1.

TotRank:=RANKX(All(Table1),CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Total]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[ConCol], Table1[Order])),,,DENSE)

Update

You can read more about it from here

Group Multiple Rows to Single Delimited Row in PowerPivot

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Ok, I am a little short of time, so will post the solution (and explain it sometime later maybe)

1) Create a hidden calculated column called Rnk

=RANKX(filter(ALL(Table1), [Order]=EARLIER([Order])), [Item],,1,DENSE)

2) Create a hidden calculated column called ParRnk

=if(Table1[Rnk]<>1, Table1[Rnk]-1)

3) Create a hidden calculated column called ParItem 

=calculate(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Item],1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Rnk]=EARLIER(Table1[ParRnk])),VALUES(Table1[Order]))

4) Create a calculated column called ConCol. This will give you the Item descriptions concatenated into a singular field

=calculate(path(Table1[Item], Table1[ParItem]), CALCULATETABLE(filter(Table1, Table1[Rnk]=max(Table1[Rnk])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Order]))

5) Create a measure called TotRank. This will give you Rank of the order with the largest total being #1.

TotRank:=RANKX(All(Table1),CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Total]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[ConCol], Table1[Order])),,,DENSE)

Update

You can read more about it from here

Group Multiple Rows to Single Delimited Row in PowerPivot

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Jason! This is great.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:24 PM