none
keep monitor always on RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to keep my monitor always on with (my custom shell is always running).

How to do to disable the screen saver and the power off of the monitor without to use the control panel (I do not have this tool in my image).
    What are the value in the registry I can modify?

Thanks

Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:12 AM

All replies

•  

http://www.chami.com/tips/delphi/052698D.html

this site gives examples of calling the control panel applets from the command line

which is also a route you can try besides registry keys

HKCC\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Display\Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\000x\System\CurrentControlSet\SERVICES\CARDNAME\DEVICE0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\000x\System\CurrentControlSet\SERVICES\CARDNAME\DEVICE0\Mon80000000
    and change the same value to your card's highest value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\000x\System\CurrentControlSet\SERVICES\CARDNAME\VGASAVE\DEVICE0
    and change the number from the default of 4 to something like 16.

those are a few to try out

good luck

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • The Powercfg.exe tool found in the Power Configuration Tool component can help set some of the parameters.

If you don't include the Windows XP Visual Styles component, I believe the screen savers will be disabled.

-Sean

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:03 PM
  • thanks for the reply I  will try tomorrow.

Regards,
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:22 PM
  • I just added the powercfg.cpl to my systm32 directory and ran this to change the settings. (right click and choose open with controll pannel)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Hi Fabrice,

I think the easiest solution to your problem is to change the settings of your processor component in target designer. For me it's "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". In there is a section called "Power Management Settings" with a combo box for you to select the power management policy if you chooose "Presentation" as your policy the monitor will always be on and there will be no screen saver.

You might also notice that there is also an option called "Always On" don't get tricked by the name it doesn't mean the monitor is always on it will turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. It's really dodgy how Microsoft has that option tricking people to think that it will make the monitor always on. One of my colleagues got fooled by it.

Regards,

Patrick
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick Tan Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:01 PM
  • control panel/all control panel items/power options/choose when to turn off display. set never
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:01 PM