none
Migration From 2016 Web App through SP2016 to a standalone Azure SQL DB RRS feed

Answers

• I believe the answer is 'convenience'.  Azure SQL is just the database, and so one must of course link it to the web server.  With Access Web + 365/Sharepoint - one gets that taken care off and you don't explicitly manage the SQL that is behind the 365.

If one has the skill set established of managing Azure SQL then there is no advantage - but if one simply wants to deal with Access web then using the 365/sharepoint can shield you from the learning of Azure sql.

I use the term 365 since the post seems cloud oriented and not considering that one might have SharePoint in-house. 

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:11 PM

All replies

• I believe the answer is 'convenience'.  Azure SQL is just the database, and so one must of course link it to the web server.  With Access Web + 365/Sharepoint - one gets that taken care off and you don't explicitly manage the SQL that is behind the 365.

If one has the skill set established of managing Azure SQL then there is no advantage - but if one simply wants to deal with Access web then using the 365/sharepoint can shield you from the learning of Azure sql.

I use the term 365 since the post seems cloud oriented and not considering that one might have SharePoint in-house. 

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Thank you. 

The Access/SP web App is amazing. Somewhere MS wrote that it is intended to be to web databases what desktop Access was to, say Oracle (meaning more agile and easier), and to me that feels right.  I think the 1 GB limit is the only thing that frightens me a bit.

But thank you again.

-Mark

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:53 PM