none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 VB ShowDialog() takes 25 seconds to bring up Common Dialog box

Question

• Why does the following VB line take 25 seconds to bring up Common Dialog box, when Visual Studio 2013 executing the very same code takes less then 1 second in Windows 10 ?

If OpenFileDialog1.ShowDialog() = System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then

Why is it so slow?

OpenFileDialog1 is a Windows.Form.CommonDialog.

This performance is not acceptable on Windows Desktop platform.

How can I fix this?

Saturday, April 23, 2016 9:02 PM

All replies

• Hi DonBaechtel,

How did you run your app, F5(Debugging) or Ctrl+F5(Start without debugging)? Do you run the same app in the same machine which has the VS2013 and VS2015 or you run it in two different machines?

As you said that it ran quickly in VS2013, do you test it in other VS2013 or VS2015 machine?

For the performance issue, we would think about the windows, the VS Environment, project or others.

The reason why I want to know that whether you debug your app is that there are some tools was started automatically in the default VS 2015, maybe it would spend several seconds.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Not even close to an answer.

Did you try it?

Does it work better for you?

Still looking for a solution.

Monday, May 02, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Hi DonBaechtel,

Sorry for no help to you. We just want to get the latest information from you using the "propose answer" action. Thanks for helping us un-propose it.

>>Did you try it? Does it work better for you?

Not the VB language developing team member, actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE usage, but I really want to help you repro this issue. If possible, you could share us a simple sample, so we could really repro this issue using the same VS2013 and VS2015 Environment and project sample as yours, so we could know that whether it is the VS IDE/the Windows Environment issue/Project itself or others.

Please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the one drive, and then share the download link in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, I also did some research about this issue,  someone met the similar issue here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6751188/openfiledialog-c-slow-on-any-file-better-solution

You could check that whether there are some network connection shortcuts in your Dialo which impact the performance or others, but as you said that it works well in VS2013, maybe it was a really issue in VS2015 IDE. Anyway, if possible, I sincerely suggest you share us a simple sample, if I get the same issue, I will help you submit a connect report to the product team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:47 AM