OLEDB 12 not registered, change from Office 2013 to Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We are changing from Windows 7 and Office 2013 to Windows 10 and Office 2016.

We have an application written in C#, connecting to an MS Access database (accdb file) using OLEDB (System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection). It was working in Windows 7 with Office 2013 installed, but now when we are upgrading to Windows 10 and Office 2016, we get the following message:

"Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine error"

The connection string is the following:

"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data source=L:\PATH\TO\DATABASE.accdb"

I have checked on a new machine, and it seems that there are no ACEOLEDB.dll at all. Does anyone know what to do? Is there a component in Office 2016 that needs to be installed? Do I need to compile the application on a machine with Office 2016 installed? Should OLEDB not be used anymore to connector to an MS Access database?

/Kristofer

Regards, Kristofer Gafvert
    www.it-notebook.org

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Kristofer Gafvert,

>>Does anyone know what to do? Is there a component in Office 2016 that needs to be installed? Do I need to compile the application on a machine with Office 2016 installed? Should OLEDB not be used anymore to connector to an MS Access database?

According to your description and related error message, it seems that you have not install The ACE provider after you upgrade your system. The ACE provider is not installed on Windows operating systems by default. You have to install it. The ACE provider is available in two links: Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007 and  the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable. The 2007 version is only available as a 32-bit component whereas the 2010 version offers both 32 and 64-bit options. Please be careful to choose the option, because a wrong choice here is the most frequent cause for the error message.

Best regards,

Zhanglong Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Kristofer Gafvert,

>>Does anyone know what to do? Is there a component in Office 2016 that needs to be installed? Do I need to compile the application on a machine with Office 2016 installed? Should OLEDB not be used anymore to connector to an MS Access database?

According to your description and related error message, it seems that you have not install The ACE provider after you upgrade your system. The ACE provider is not installed on Windows operating systems by default. You have to install it. The ACE provider is available in two links: Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007 and  the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable. The 2007 version is only available as a 32-bit component whereas the 2010 version offers both 32 and 64-bit options. Please be careful to choose the option, because a wrong choice here is the most frequent cause for the error message.

Best regards,

Zhanglong Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks!

I will try the 2010 redistributable. 

We have 64-bit version of Windows 10 and 32-bit version of Office 2016. The application accessing the database is currently compiled as 32-bit (but I can change that if necessary). Would the best be to use the 32-bit version? Do you think it will conflict with Office 2016?

MS Access 2016 is used to work in the very same database.

www.it-notebook.org

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi Kristofer Gafvert,

>>We have 64-bit version of Windows 10 and 32-bit version of Office 2016. The application accessing the database is currently compiled as 32-bit (but I can change that if necessary). Would the best be to use the 32-bit version?

Firstly, please install the first one( Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007), then check if it works for you. if it works, you don't need to install the second one. if not install the second one with 32-bit.

Best regards,

Zhanglong Wu

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Thanks for the instructions!

www.it-notebook.org

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Hi again.

After installing the first one I got the error message "Unrecognized database format", so I installed the second one and after that all worked!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciated it!

www.it-notebook.org

Friday, November 24, 2017 10:01 AM