Updating the ID Column display name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am able to update the Column (display) name of a Sharepoint ID Column by navigating to the column edit url and updating the Field to "ID". _layouts/15/FldEdit.aspx?List=...&Field=ID

Is this considered unsupported?

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Unsupported as in they did not give you a user interface for that... maybe.

But it is supported via code and via PowerShell. A field/column has two name properties: "Title" and "InternalName". When a new column is created they are both set to the name you supplied. You can at anytime change the Title (displayed name) to anything.

InternalName is Read Only while Title is Read/Write.

So, you have found a cool trick to change the Title without custom code or PowerShell!

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:35 AM
  • I think there should not be an issue, since you are editing only the display name. All the field references use the internal name which will remain as ID. 

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:36 AM
  • I think the issue is that there is a risk that a third party solution may assume that the display name doesn't change for the ID field so unknown issues may arrise.  I also wonder if I will become unstuck if I need to migrate the data between lists, as you can't control/update the ID field value ... So end result is that ideally I'll be proposing that we use an additional field that is updated via workflow (or event) once a new item is created.

Thanks guys for your guidance.

Monday, July 4, 2016 4:53 AM
  • Most code based solutions will use the internal name, so not much of a risk there. The biggest issue with ID is that is read only and unique only in the source list. As you noted, moving an item will generate a new ID in the new list.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Monday, July 4, 2016 4:05 PM