none
msg preview handler on Windows 2008 (Treminal Server / Citrix) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a program that is previewing Outlook .msg files using the IPreviewHandler interface as per Brad's post on http://www.brad-smith.info/blog/archives/183 (and other similar ones).

Everything works OK on Windows 7 / Office 2010.

However it also needs to run in a Citrix / Terminal Services system running on Windows 2008. Although Office 2010 is installed, there does not seem to be the relevant registry entries to allow msg file preview and indeed when trying to use Windows Explorer to do a preview this also does not seem to work.

Does anyone know if something extra has to be done to get preview of msg files working on Windows 2008? Preview of other documents (e.g. word) seems to be OK.

Andrew

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:00 PM

Answers

• The solution in the end was straight foward - if you enable the Windows Search Service (which is part of the File Server service so enable that first), then when you fire up Outlook it installs the necessary components and you can view msg files.

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Andrew S UK Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

In accordance with your description, could you please share you program or some snippets in your scenarion here? It will be beneficial for us to reproduce this issue on Windows 2008 and do further research.

Best Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Leo,

I believe that a possible starting place is as follows:

Create an msg file (e.g. by dragging an email from Outlook to Windows Explorer on the c: drive.
        Then make sure in Windows Explorer that the Organise / Layour / "Preview Pane" is switched on.
        Clicking on the msg file should provide a preview of the file.

The above works on a Windows 7 machine OK, but appears to not work on a Windows 2008 Citrix / Terminal Services machine.

I am basically replicating the Windows Explorer functionality in my application. The full code is rather large but is based on Brad's post indicated in my first post.

The point that seems to be "failing" on the Windows 2008 machine is that the registry setting which says where the previewer program is does not appear on Windows 2008, nor indeed does the program that does the previewing.

So the missing registry is: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msg\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}

On Windows 7, this contains the GUID {435fdba0-964c-43a7-8aff-cc94e21b2249}

which points to the "Outlook MAPI Mail Previewer" - which seems to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MAPISHELL.DLL.

From the investigations so far, neither the registry setting nor MAPISHELL.DLL are on the Windows 2008 machine - which implies there is "something else" that needs to be installed as part of the Office / Outlook Instalation - but we cannot find what the something else is and on Windows 7 the normal Office 2010 Install put these in place.

Andrew

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

As you have mentioned and I have also validated, that we are not able to see preview(no custom previewer code involved) of .msg on Windows 2008 machine from windows explorer itself.

I would recommend you to follow-up regarding this behavior on Windows Server 2008 Forum @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsserver/

And for forum support regarding IPreviewHandler we could reach out to Windows Desktop SDK Forum @  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/threads

Regards,

Brijs
    Brijs Blogging... Looking Beyond the Obvious

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:51 PM
  • The solution in the end was straight foward - if you enable the Windows Search Service (which is part of the File Server service so enable that first), then when you fire up Outlook it installs the necessary components and you can view msg files.

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Andrew S UK Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:56 PM