Need some basic knowledge about Notification Hub! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone , I'm learning Notification Hub on Azure...I am confused with this picture

1. Where is the App back-end locate?

2. What different with traditional Push Notification with Push Notifcation using Notification Hub?

OmegaVN - Window Phone Application Researching and Development

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:56 AM

Answers

• 1. App back-end can be located anywhere. It can be in your PC, on a server, in a cloud like Azure as a web service, etc. The key is that it has to know 4 pieces of information: the PNS handle for the device that it intends to send the message, the platform which your device is on (Android, Apple, Microsoft, etc.), the address of the notification hub, and the authorization to send the message to the hub (can be in the form of a certificate so that the hub knows that the messages are coming from a known source).

2. In notification hub scenario, your back-end app sends the message to the hub, and the hub delivers it to the appropriate notification platform (Apple, Android, Microsoft, etc.). In other delivery mechanisms, the back-end app can send message directly to the device (as in SignalR), or directly to the notification platform such as Apple, Android or Microsoft and then they will do the message delivery to the device.

Frank

• Marked as answer by OmegaVN Friday, January 9, 2015 7:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:43 PM

All replies

• 1. App back-end can be located anywhere. It can be in your PC, on a server, in a cloud like Azure as a web service, etc. The key is that it has to know 4 pieces of information: the PNS handle for the device that it intends to send the message, the platform which your device is on (Android, Apple, Microsoft, etc.), the address of the notification hub, and the authorization to send the message to the hub (can be in the form of a certificate so that the hub knows that the messages are coming from a known source).

2. In notification hub scenario, your back-end app sends the message to the hub, and the hub delivers it to the appropriate notification platform (Apple, Android, Microsoft, etc.). In other delivery mechanisms, the back-end app can send message directly to the device (as in SignalR), or directly to the notification platform such as Apple, Android or Microsoft and then they will do the message delivery to the device.

Frank

• Marked as answer by OmegaVN Friday, January 9, 2015 7:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:43 PM
  • "In other delivery mechanisms, the back-end app can send message directly to the device (as in SignalR)" -  This is new information for me ... I never see it anywhere on Website Azure before.

- Could you give me some details articles?

- What kind of App back-end?

OmegaVN - Window Phone Application Researching and Development

• Edited by OmegaVN Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:01 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:50 AM
  • SignalR is not an Azure feature. You can have a javascript library for your client and a .NET library for your back-end app as the server, and the two talks to each other.

A back-end app can be anything that can host the SignalR server library. Here is one example of how this can be done.

http://www.asp.net/signalr/overview/getting-started/tutorial-getting-started-with-signalr

Frank

Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:46 PM