Is touch facility provided by a Hardware or Software in Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When Windows 8 came I heard it supports touch. But my laptop which I purchased quite a long ago when Win 7 was released is not providing any touch kind of thing when I installed Windows 8 in it.
    So, I am confused whether touch facility is provided by Operating System software or by particular hardware? 

If it is provided by hardware why it is said Windows 8 is touch based OS?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hi northvally

Touch facility want both hardware and software.

For example : you have Mouse or keyboard for input if there is no mouse you can't move mouse cursor or if there is no keyboard the you can't input text.

and if you have both hardware device then they need driver for connecting your device to OS.

the second example : a car want to both engine and petrol.

engine=hardware

Petrol = Software

Art Of Living Is Art Of Giving

• Marked as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, September 16, 2013 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:52 AM
  •  why it is said Windows 8 is touch based OS?

Windows 8 is NOT a touch-based OS. It is an OS that supports touch when touch-enabled hardware is used (e.g. a touch-screen tablet).

It is part of Microsoft's rules for Windows Store applications that they must all support touch AND keyboard/mouse type input. Traditional/desktop software is not restricted by that rule.

No software will be able to make a regular LCD screen work as a touch screen.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hi NorthValley,

First you need a hardware that can support touch.

Hardware will only provide the basic function like touch, tape and select, for instance you could see that previous Windows versions works fine on a touchable hardware, but only the basic gestures.

Windows 8 OS can provide more touch interaction options, like swipe, rotate, slide, these are given by software. Read this from MSDN for more information: Responding to user interaction

For your questions:

Does windows 8 knows whether click on a button was done using mouse or touch interface?

The click event fire by mouse is a Pointer Event, but the click event fire by gesture will also have a manipulation event, for this reason, the system could distinguish if the click is done by mouse or touch. Read Quickstart: Pointers and Quickstart: Touch input for more information.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi northvally

Touch facility want both hardware and software.

For example : you have Mouse or keyboard for input if there is no mouse you can't move mouse cursor or if there is no keyboard the you can't input text.

and if you have both hardware device then they need driver for connecting your device to OS.

the second example : a car want to both engine and petrol.

engine=hardware

Petrol = Software

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

thanks for reply. Does windows 8 knows whether click on a button was done using mouse or touch interface?

Are they distinguishable by OS?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Yes Win8 OS Knows which interface you use.

you give input from mouse,keyboard,touch screen or etc WIN8 Knows.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

can you provide any supporting document related to my both queries above? It will be better if it is Microsoft's provided document.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 11:19 AM
  •  why it is said Windows 8 is touch based OS?

Windows 8 is NOT a touch-based OS. It is an OS that supports touch when touch-enabled hardware is used (e.g. a touch-screen tablet).

It is part of Microsoft's rules for Windows Store applications that they must all support touch AND keyboard/mouse type input. Traditional/desktop software is not restricted by that rule.

No software will be able to make a regular LCD screen work as a touch screen.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hi NorthValley,

First you need a hardware that can support touch.

Hardware will only provide the basic function like touch, tape and select, for instance you could see that previous Windows versions works fine on a touchable hardware, but only the basic gestures.

Windows 8 OS can provide more touch interaction options, like swipe, rotate, slide, these are given by software. Read this from MSDN for more information: Responding to user interaction

For your questions:

Does windows 8 knows whether click on a button was done using mouse or touch interface?

The click event fire by mouse is a Pointer Event, but the click event fire by gesture will also have a manipulation event, for this reason, the system could distinguish if the click is done by mouse or touch. Read Quickstart: Pointers and Quickstart: Touch input for more information.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:42 AM