Getting unique identifier for a subscribed user RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on making an app that will have a subscription service. I need a way to get an id for the store account or subscription to the app that can identify the store user. I also need for the user id to be the same if the user resubscribes. I don't see anything in the store api for subscription either. I see licenses and in app purchases but I don't see subscription info anywhere.
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:10 PM

Answers

• @albs477,

>>Are subscription based apps not supported by the windows store?

I'm trying to under the "subscription based apps", maybe you need to make your own subscription in your own server. By default like Ken mentioned, I cannot find a API for doing this.

>>If I need to maintain the accounts and subscription myself then I guess all the store is good for is distribution.

What about use in app purchase for your app. It is very easy to be used in your code and you can ask your user to pay for your app? Do you have any specific requirement to use the subscription?

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Figured it out. Create an in app purchase with expiration to be the subscription and have the purchase made in the app. The user will have an account on my side they login with and since the purchase is made in app, I will be able to flag it on my side as being active. I can also use the licence api to determine if they user has an active subscription and the check on my side when they login to ensure the login really does have a subscription.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:08 PM

All replies

• Subscriptions you have to handle yourself there is no API for this.  I would make the user sign in to the app with the same credentials they use for the website where the user enters the payment info for the subscription
    Sunday, July 10, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Are subscription based apps not supported by the windows store? There is no reliable way for me to use the store for subscription apps and not be able to confirm that the user is subscribed. If I can't confirm that the licensed user is also the app account holder then anyone can subscribe cancel and then use someone else's copy of the app to use it for free or share one copy of the app among a family. If I need to maintain the accounts and subscription myself then I guess all the store is good for is distribution.
    Monday, July 11, 2016 1:47 AM
  • @albs477,

>>Are subscription based apps not supported by the windows store?

I'm trying to under the "subscription based apps", maybe you need to make your own subscription in your own server. By default like Ken mentioned, I cannot find a API for doing this.

>>If I need to maintain the accounts and subscription myself then I guess all the store is good for is distribution.

What about use in app purchase for your app. It is very easy to be used in your code and you can ask your user to pay for your app? Do you have any specific requirement to use the subscription?

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:55 AM
  • I can hint you to make hash from unique user credential (user name or email) and then use this hash as a computed user id.

I already use similar approach in my music podcast app. I generate internal podcast ID as a SHA1 hash of podcast RSS URL and then use first bytes of SHA1 hash to form GUID from byte array.

So, this unique identifier can be shared between user devices, can be used to export podcast settings (favorite episodes, already played episodes). Episodes ID is also generated in same manner - as a SHA1 hash of episode media URL.

It's an universal solution to make unique ID from some known external parameter if you want to get stable ID from same parameter value.

It's a common application of cryptographic hashes besides security - to generate unique ID from well-known data. GIT version control system, for example, also use cryptographic hashes to generate unique ID for commit from commit content.

• Edited by Muipo Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Figured it out. Create an in app purchase with expiration to be the subscription and have the purchase made in the app. The user will have an account on my side they login with and since the purchase is made in app, I will be able to flag it on my side as being active. I can also use the licence api to determine if they user has an active subscription and the check on my side when they login to ensure the login really does have a subscription.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:08 PM