none
Visual C# 2015 compiler could not be create

Question

• Hi,

We have some projects written in C++ and few in C# .We were installing Visual Studio 2015  and select only C++ feature. As a result our C# projects can not be builded with error: Visual C# 2015 compiler could not be created. It's OK. We re-run Visual Studio 2015 installer and try to add C# compiler. What in installation features we have to choose?

We do not want install everything. C# we see only under 'Cross Platform Mobile Development \ (C#/.NET ...)'. But our application is not mobile. It's normal Window Desktop development.

What in installation features we have to choose to be able to build VB and C# components? We have Visual Studio Professional installer. iso image.

Thanks

Saturday, May 28, 2016 2:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Rarik,

C# and vb.Net are not listed as separate language because they not come in a separate package. The compilers itself are also part of the .Net framework (e.g. csc.exe is inside the .Net Framework directory).

I didn't do some test but I would expect, that you need these packages for development:

When you want to develop web applications using C# / vb.Net, then you should choose Windows and Web Development \ Microsoft Web Development Tools. 

For classic desktop applications, you should need the Windows and Web Development \ Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8 / 8.1 Tools \ Tools and Windows SDKs

The other topics in there should also explain themself.

In general I would also suggest to install other components, too. You cannot know what you need tomorrow and do you really want to get into such a situation more often? Of course: As a development team we have our set of technology that we use. But that is nothing really fixed. So for example: We do not build universal apps at all. But we got this part installed, too. And it is good because I used it already just to have a look at it.

But that is my personal view and I hope that you get into a situation where you can continue your work.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Rarik Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:25 AM
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We have some projects written in C++ and few in C# .We were installing Visual Studio 2015  and select only C++ feature. As a result our C# projects can not be builded with error: Visual C# 2015 compiler could not be created. It's OK. We re-run Visual Studio 2015 installer and try to add C# compiler. What in installation features we have to choose?

We do not want install everything. C# we see only under 'Cross Platform Mobile Development \ (C#/.NET ...)'. But our application is not mobile. It's normal Window Desktop development.

What in installation features we have to choose to be able to build VB and C# components? We have Visual Studio Professional installer. iso image.

Thanks

Friday, May 27, 2016 8:11 PM
  • You mean the installer doesn't ask you what you want to install as in the image below when you installed it? It says right there for Typical to install C#, VB, etc. Although you will need to use Custom to install C++ and C# and VB, etc.

Perhaps you should go to control panel, programs and select Visual Studio and Change. Then there may be an area to Modify that may bring up the ability to add what you need. If not remove and reinstall Visual Studio providing the correct features you desire. Can't be too difficult I figure.

Why don't you just install everything?

Also see - Installing Visual Studio

La vida loca

Saturday, May 28, 2016 4:12 AM
  • Hi Rarik,

C# and vb.Net are not listed as separate language because they not come in a separate package. The compilers itself are also part of the .Net framework (e.g. csc.exe is inside the .Net Framework directory).

I didn't do some test but I would expect, that you need these packages for development:

When you want to develop web applications using C# / vb.Net, then you should choose Windows and Web Development \ Microsoft Web Development Tools. 

For classic desktop applications, you should need the Windows and Web Development \ Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8 / 8.1 Tools \ Tools and Windows SDKs

The other topics in there should also explain themself.

In general I would also suggest to install other components, too. You cannot know what you need tomorrow and do you really want to get into such a situation more often? Of course: As a development team we have our set of technology that we use. But that is nothing really fixed. So for example: We do not build universal apps at all. But we got this part installed, too. And it is good because I used it already just to have a look at it.

But that is my personal view and I hope that you get into a situation where you can continue your work.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Rarik Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:25 AM
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:26 AM