The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Creating highly available hosting environment using Azure WebApps for multiple clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to host few small web applications in Azure. They are light weight and not much traffic. I think Azure Web Apps is the correct solution for this. But I don't want to use separate web apps for each site. 

Is it possible to host multiple sites on a single webapp ? Is it possible to get metrics for each sites separately if I host them on a single webapp?

What's the best way to create a hosting environment for multiple clients using shared Webapp ?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:08 AM

All replies

• You could keep your web sites in separate projects and use the ‘Virtual applications and directories’ settings in Azure to publish to different projects under the same site.

Goto web app -> Settings -> Application Settings -> Virtual applications and directories

In Web Apps, each site and its child applications run in the same application pool. If your site has multiple child applications utilizing multiple application pools, consolidate them to a single application pool with common settings or migrate each application to a separate web app.

You may want to check the blog post Deploying multiple virtual directories to a single Azure Website for more details.

Also, refer the documentation for Scenarios and recommendations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

If I deployed my apps into Virtual Applications in single Web app, is it possible for me to get metrics separately for each site ?

If I have to monitor the usage of each sites separately, what are the options I have in above scenario ?

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:19 AM
  • As per this update, it is not possible to view the Application Insights for virtual applications. If you would like all the virtual applications to be monitored as well, you will have to add the Application Insights SDK to all the apps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:38 PM