none
Appointment/Item IDs on Outlook and Exchage Web Service Managed API RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a windows form calendar and I'd like to integrate it with Microsoft exchange server / Outlook Calendar. Basically my calendar has tasks/appointments in it for different users and I'd like it to sync with the outlook calendar of that specific user. I have looked online for solutions and was convinced to use Microsoft Exchange Web Service Managed API.

After reading tutorials about it, I can now successfully create an appointment in the outlook calendar from my calendar by following this steps i found online:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd633661(v=exchg.80).aspx

Now i am trying to delete that appointment using this steps i found online as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd633667(v=exchg.80).aspx

The problem i encounter is the Item ID. I looked online about it and still not sure how it works. Is automatically generated or i have to create these IDs myself as i add the appointments to the calendar.

Many thanks,

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:01 AM

All replies

• The ID is generated automatically when you create an item; but you need to know it when you change, or delete, the item.
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

Another question, I'd like to delete/update an appointment in the outlook calendar depending on what i did on my developed calendar. But i dont now know how to get the right appointment from the outlook calendar. I mean, how will i retrieve the right appointment. In the website it is something like this:

Appointment appointment = Appointment.Bind(service, new ItemId("AAMkA="));
    appointment.Delete(DeleteMode.MoveToDeletedItems);

but im not sure how does it know that it is that Item ID.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Firstly, that item ID you pasted is much abbreviated, they are a lot longer than that (I only mention that in case you copied it from an example, and have not actually seen one before).

To get the item ID, you usually have to do a search in the folder. Decide on a property of the item that you know will uniquely identify it (perhaps the subject and/or start time), and perform a search for matching items. Item ids are returned in the search results. If you only get one result, you can be sure you have the correct item id. If you get more than one item returned, you'll have to either inspect them to find the right one, or refine your search.

Try a search for EWS FindItem CalendarView .

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:50 AM