SQL error number is 5110 - ASP.NET Configuration problem RRS feed

• Question

• User179062990 posted

Hi all,

I have the following setup:

I am working on an XP system having Visual Studio 2008 and I have created a project on a remote box that holds my SQL Server database as well.
    When I am trying to create my roles, add users, etc. when I am clicking the Security link I get:

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 5110 and the SqlException message is: The file "\\myRemoteMachine\myProjectFolder\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF" is on a network path that is not supported for database files. CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors. Creating the ASPNETDB_84b45b1f4b974ff3bd70e8cd15fb0b1b database...

If I create the project (website) locally, it runs OK.

my web.config contains

<system.web>
    <roleManager enabled="true"/>
    <system.web/>

The remote folder is shared with the user on the local machine that supposedly created the website ...

Anybody has any idea?

Thanks,

kowalsky

Friday, July 11, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

unfortunatelly, ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF does not sit in the APP_DATA folder. It needs to be created there, however this is not happening, hence the error message.

Ok, regardless...  The problem is opening a remote share in Visual Studio.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 7:19 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

RDP (Remote desktop) into the remote box then open the configuration tool, assuming VS is installed on the remote machine. 

Currently, ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF is sitting in the APP_DATA folder.  Consider, centralizing ASPNETDB.MDF by attaching the file to a SQL server instance.  Then point the connection string to the SQL server instance.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:53 AM
  • User179062990 posted

Thanks mgebhard,

unfortunatelly, ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF does not sit in the APP_DATA folder. It needs to be created there, however this is not happening, hence the error message.

I will try to go through the whole process while having the project open on the server itself, maybe once created, the database will be accessible remotely.

Thanks again, I'll post again tomorrow,

kowalsky

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:03 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Ok, regardless...  The problem is opening a remote share in Visual Studio.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 7:19 AM
  • User-734925760 posted

Hi,

According to your description and the error message, you need to create the Security DB on your server using aspnet_regsql.exe.

For more information and steps, please refer to the link below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/5853114d-bfdf-4e77-b04e-e152a245f3a6/sql-error-number-is-5110

Hope it's useful for you.

Best Reagrds,

Michelle Ge

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:13 AM