none
Is an Azure SQL VM considered a cloud source?

Question

• I have a data factory pipeline moving some data from an Azure VM running SQL to an Azure SQL DW database. Is that pipeline priced as cloud to cloud or on-prem to cloud? It seems like it should to cloud to cloud but I had to install the gateway on the VM to get the pipeline to work.  I need some clarity as the cost difference is substantial if it isn't priced as an ADF cloud activity. 

Chad Dotzenrod SWC | TECHNOLOGY PARTNERS 1420 Kensington Road, Suite 110 Oak Brook, Illinois 60523-2144 http://www.swc.com

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• The cost will cover the VM so I suggest That it`s better to close the VM when it`s not working in order to economise the consumption :) 
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Hi Chad,

I'm not sure if you've resolved this yet, but I did a quick test.

I took an Azure VM, installed the Data Management Gateway and set up a Data Factory to move data from the Azure VM File System to Azure Blob Storage.

So not using a SQL instance on the VM, but the gateway is the same process for both.

After I ran it through I checked my Azure Subscription billing details, and looked up Data Factory transactions and indeed it is shown as Data Movement On Premises.

If you go through the portal you can check your usage, hopefully you should see the same.

Cheers,

Martin

Sunday, December 27, 2015 11:25 AM
  • As stated this is considered as On premise (since this requires the Data Management Gateway) to Cloud.
    Wednesday, March 09, 2016 12:26 AM