What is the link between the User load and the iteration in the VSTS 2008 load test? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any link between the user load and Test iteration?

When we are executing the iteration based load test and If i'm using the constant load of 50 user, is that necessary to give the test iteration as 50 to get all the 50 user to execute the test?

Because if i gave 1 iteration with 50 constant user, i didn't get the Test result for all the 50 users/test.
    System is giving the test result for all the 50 users only when i gave the 50 iteration.

Need clarification....
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:56 PM

Answers

• Let's see if this helps (giving examples on what Bill and Robert said):

Iterations and users have nothing to do with each other. When you set the iterations to 1, then you see one passed test. This is exactly what you should see. So assuming that "Use Test Iterations" is set to true, then the following should be the expected results:

Iterations        users            Number of tests reported
    50                    1                   50
    50                    10                 50
    50                    50                 50
    50                    100               50

1                    1                    1
    1                    10                  1
    1                    50                  1
    1                    100                1

If you get a different count of results then you are hitting a bug or the test is aborting, etc.

:-)
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi

In constant user mode, there shouldn't be direct links between user load and iteration. One thing worth to know is that Visual Studio needs some time to initialize virtual users. We often set a warm-up time. For example, you can set the Warm-up Duration to 20 seconds so that Visual Studio can create enough threads and object models for 50 users before the load test actually begins.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Just to echo what Bill said,  Bhojan, this is a commonly misunderstood property of load tests.

The Run Settings -> Test Iterations property (when Use Test Iterations = True) is truly a global counter - that value is the total number of test iterations for all tests and - has nothing to do with number of users as Bill pointed out.

Maybe the name of that propety should be Global Test Iterations? ,  or at least a note in the description text indicating such- this would help folks from falling into this one.

Robert
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Bill.

Actually what i need is if i make the test iteration as "True" and set as 1, for the 50 users,
    the test result is giving for one  test.  In test summary it shows Total test : 1  ;  Failed test : 0
    But i need to know whether all the 50 users are passed or not. 

So that i use to give 50 iteration for 50 users and 100 iteration for 100 users.
    when i gave like this i'll get  the test result as Total test : 50  ;  Failed test : 0 - if there is no failures.
    in this case when i went to  the data base only 50 and 100 recordes only inserted respectively.

if i gave Iteration as 1 with user load as 50, then only one record is getting inserted in the DB.

Correct me if i'm worng....

Need clarification 

Friday, March 6, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Let's see if this helps (giving examples on what Bill and Robert said):

Iterations and users have nothing to do with each other. When you set the iterations to 1, then you see one passed test. This is exactly what you should see. So assuming that "Use Test Iterations" is set to true, then the following should be the expected results:

Iterations        users            Number of tests reported
    50                    1                   50
    50                    10                 50
    50                    50                 50
    50                    100               50

1                    1                    1
    1                    10                  1
    1                    50                  1
    1                    100                1

If you get a different count of results then you are hitting a bug or the test is aborting, etc.

:-)
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:01 PM