Unable to load workflow actions from server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue on a SP2010 farm. When I try to open or create a workflow through SharePoint Designer, I get the error message "Unable to load workflow actions from server"

I have been through a number of threads here and elsewhere and have ruled out the following common causes:

1. User permissions - This happens for a site collection administrator, as well as a site owner
    2. Actions file broken - There have never been any modifications to the actions file, and no custom workflow components have ever been deployed.
    3. State Service not running - The state service is provisioned and running just fine.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at next?
    There is nothing at all appearing in the log files on the server, I currently have Workflow Engine set to Verbose level.

Thank you

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:40 PM

Answers

• Issue was a duplicate feature. We had a case of a sandbox solution installed on a site collection, this site collection was backed up and moved to a different enviroment where that solution had been changed to a farm solution. When the workflow process went to retreive actions, it hit this identical feature and threw an exception
    • Marked as answer by cbundy Friday, November 5, 2010 12:14 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that you have got “Unable to load workflow actions from server”  error in SPD, and you have tried several possible solutions.

Would you please also take a look at following thread, office web-apps caused this error:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/94253fca-9537-4206-9834-7b18c7352dec

Hope this could help!

Best Regards,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cbundy Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:05 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Issue was a duplicate feature. We had a case of a sandbox solution installed on a site collection, this site collection was backed up and moved to a different enviroment where that solution had been changed to a farm solution. When the workflow process went to retreive actions, it hit this identical feature and threw an exception
    • Marked as answer by cbundy Friday, November 5, 2010 12:14 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:14 AM
  • I'd like to chime-in on what I found with regards to this issue, and how it was solved for me:

Everywhere I looked, it said to check the .actions file at location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow

I’m lucky enough that I have a dev and prod environment, so I was able to just copy and paste from prod to dev the 2 action files. However, that did not fix the error...

I got to the point where no one was teling me anything other than to check the actions file when I decided to just look at everything in SharePoint that i have been working on in the last day.  I deployed a .wsp file for a site definition last night, and when I retracted that wsp, then restarted IIS, the Designer allowed the workflow to come up again.

My point in this post is that this error is not exclusive to .actions files, despite what you might think.  Look into what has been deployed recently in your admin, and try a retract-and-test.  It just might fix your issue.

Dennis J Watts
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:02 PM
  • After trying about 4 different things (all of which seemed more likely) it turns out that have duplicate .wsp's can INDEED cause a "Unable to load workflow actions from server" when creating a new workflow (or editing an old one) in Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010.

• Proposed as answer by Shekhar R Monday, May 16, 2011 2:30 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:21 PM
  • I had one site collection that was having this issue.  At the top level of the site collection site settings, I used 'Workflows' link under the Site Administration to help identify what was missing and was contributing to the error "Unable to load workflow actions from server" in SharePoint Designer.  I was missing some feature files that were related to custom workflows.  Once I fixed the feature issue and could open the Workflows page the error in SharePoint Designer was resolved too. 

Hope that helps someone. I worked on this for quite a few hours until I checked the workflows at the site collection level.

Carlene

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:05 PM