Word Automation RRS feed

• Question

• I've written a Visual Basic 2008 application which automates Microsoft Word.  Apparently different Word options are set depending on whether the user has Word open before running the application or not.  Can anyone point me to information on how Word options are set for a VB application autamating Word?  Thanks for any assistance.
    Jonathan Cook
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:28 PM Word-specific (From:General Office Development)
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• "Typing replaces Selection" is a user choice that is remembered (stored in the registry) across Word sessions. It will not change automatically in any circumstances I know.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any option that is somehow different just because Word was running before you checked it. You might see some occasional 'oddities' if you always create a new instance of Word, regardless of whether there was already an existing one, but, again, nothing springs immediately to mind. How are you getting your instance of Word?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    • Marked as answer by Calvin_Gao Friday, June 10, 2011 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Tony,

Sorry not to have responded earlier.  My instance is being created by a VB 2005 program.

In reviewing responses like yours, it appears that Word will have whatever options are set by the user or the visual basic program.  I was under the (I believe) mistaken impression the VB instance starts with a clean set of default options. 

This means that different users of the Word application automated by the software (which is loaded on a network Share with Click-Once deployment) might well have different options set unless I enforce the same options programmatically.

Thanks for your input.

Jonathan

Jonathan Cook
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• I'm going to move this to the Word for Developers forum, where you'll get better visibility among people who work with Word, but...

1. Version of Word?

2. Could you please be more specific about the settings which concern you? Your question is phrased so generally that it's impossible to offer an opinion or advice. Some settings are document-related so won't be available until a document is actually open. Some settings aren't necessarily document-related, but still aren't accessible unless a document is open. Beyond that, what you're saying isn't ringing any bells.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Cindy,

Thanks for moving this to a more appropriate forum.  I am using Word 2003.  The option that initially raised my concern was the Edit option "Typing Replaces Selection". 

Jonathan

Jonathan Cook
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:18 PM
  • "Typing replaces Selection" is a user choice that is remembered (stored in the registry) across Word sessions. It will not change automatically in any circumstances I know.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any option that is somehow different just because Word was running before you checked it. You might see some occasional 'oddities' if you always create a new instance of Word, regardless of whether there was already an existing one, but, again, nothing springs immediately to mind. How are you getting your instance of Word?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Tony,

Sorry not to have responded earlier.  My instance is being created by a VB 2005 program.

In reviewing responses like yours, it appears that Word will have whatever options are set by the user or the visual basic program.  I was under the (I believe) mistaken impression the VB instance starts with a clean set of default options. 

This means that different users of the Word application automated by the software (which is loaded on a network Share with Click-Once deployment) might well have different options set unless I enforce the same options programmatically.

Thanks for your input.

Jonathan

Jonathan Cook
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I would say that's a pretty good summary :-)

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:36 PM